Sunday, November 18, 2012

Taking stock, one month after dying...

Taken back when I had hair and energy.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I basically died just over a month ago on the evening of September 15th. I'm still alive, and getting better, but I've had a lot of time to think, over the past month, and I thought that it was time to sit back and take stock of where we are and where I think we're going here at The Workbench.

The Aethervox Gamers:

It's my intention to rebuild what we had before last years's personality antics and legal harassment, and to continue gaming in the same style as I've always games - i.e., the way I learned from guys like Dave Arneson, M. A. R. Barker, and Gary Gygax. If people outside the basement have a problem with that, they can get stuffed.

The Game Room:

Work on the various video systems I'd bought last year to set up a video teleconference system for the game room has stopped, and all the bits of gear are all still sitting in their boxes, as nothing much got done once we all became part of Prof. Barker's health care during his last illness. I'm revisiting this subject, and rethinking it; I have no idea if there's any interest in seeing pre-OSR Old School Gaming going on in situ, so we'll ask around and see what people think.

I will try to finish the renovations that I had started when my brain bleed occurred, as time and energy permit. The walls still need to be repainted, the new cork boards need to be hung, and the room generally tided up as I've been away for a month.

The Tekumel Costumes:

My collection of the Tekumel costumes that we made for Prof. Barker's are all going into storage, as are the ten mannequins we bought to display them. Costume displays take up room, and have proven to be of little interest to most Tekumel fans over the last decade during which we've been trying to display and show them off to folks.

The Tekumel Miniatures:

There are roughly 4,800 25 and 28 mm miniature figures that I've been painting with and for Prof. Barker over the years stored in the game room, and I am doing a major inventory of all of them including the unpainted figures I've been holding as 'spares' against loss or breakage. I am no longer hunting down the old 25mm figures down on e-bay or other commercial websites, but I am interested in getting enough of them to fill out the old units I'd started in 1976 - 1980 with the Professor via trades or exchanges with friends. I am cleaning out all of the old non-Tekumel figures that I've never done anything with over the past thirty years, and these are going to new homes per my last sentence.

I will continue to support Howard Fielding and The Tekumel Project; I have several large orders placed with him at the moment, and I suggest that if you have an interest in the subject you drop by his websites and have a look. (Links to the left.) Howard was kind enough to send me a sample of his new figures in advance of my orders, as well as a wonderful custom 'get-well' card that he specially commissioned to send me. That's class, folks, and he does some damn nice figures.

I will no longer be doing unit conversions for military figures for the collections. Howard and the Tekumel Project have made that approach to doing military units obsolete, so I'm not going to continue doing it. The thirty-two old Grenadier "Amazon Hoplites" that I had converted into the "Aridani Legion of Lady Mrissa" will not be replaced by the new figures I have on order from The Tekumel Project, and the old figures will be stripped and repainted as something else.

Large numbers of the figures in the collection will be re-based over the winter, as their original cardboard bases have gotten tatty over the past thirty years. Litko Aerospace has provided the bases.

I am accepting commissions from friends to paint their miniatures. Contact me via-email for the details and other information. If I don't regard you as a friend, I will not paint figures for you.

The Tekumel Artifacts:

All of the various artifacts and props that I have been accumulating for the past thirty-some years with the intention of using them in games will be sorted, packed up, and stored. There has been no interest in live-action RPGs around here for the past decade, so there's no sense taking up space in the game room with them.

Projects:

I will be finishing "To Serve The Petal Throne". I'm up to 52,005 words, and still going strong. This has gone from a single book to five volumes, and I will post more information as soon as I get it.

I will be finishing "Advance Standards: Qadardalikoi, the Second Edition". It will be taking advantage of the new printing technologies and be exensively illustrated with photos of my miniatures in action. there will also be a video DVD of a sample game for learning purposes. I may also do a "How to make and Paint Things" DVD as well.

That's it for now; I have to go unload the van and reload it with a new cargo. More as I can; I have next to no stamina, these days...

yours, Chirine

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you still have some recovering to do, so don't over do it. Your health is far more important than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear of your progress.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me Chirine. I'm especially looking forward to your "projects". I'd also be one who would be interested in your plans for live video in the gameroom, should you decide to move forward with that. Take care of yourself first though, whatever else you do.

    ReplyDelete