Monday, February 4, 2013

The Weekly Update for Sunday, Feburary 3rd, 2013


The hottest of hot news this time around is that with the aid of new medications and a whole lot of sleep this weekend - I took the night (Sunday into Monday, my 'day') off, and I have dropped from an all-time non-surgery high of 201 over 100 on Tuesday night of last week to an all-time low of 124 over 75 last night. I am very pleased about this, as it looks like I might now be around for a while longer.

**********

The brutal cold here in the Twin Cities these past two weeks has taken a terrible toll on my stamina, and I have been pretty exhausted for most of the time. Warmer weather is on the way, and I'll be more active as time goes on. We did lose the furnace last week to a faulty sequencing switch, which meant that I had to abandon the basement for a while as it was simply too cold to work in, but the heat is back on and work has restarted on a number of projects.

**********

I am delighted to announce that my book, "To Serve The Petal Throne", has reached a milestone of sorts, with 69,695 words in 168 pages of Word Document manuscript now complete. I *think* I have another 250,000 words to go, with some estimates of the size of the book totaling 500,000 words by the time I'm done. Plans are to include bespoke artwork and photographs, courtesy of the wonderful new on-line and print-on-demand technologies.

"So," I have been asked,"what's this book about?"

It's about well over a decade of gaming in Tekumel with it's creator. I'm not doing a 'factual history' or 'academic dissertation', complete with footnotes and done to a high standard of academic rigor; I am working from both my game notes from all those years - every Thursday Night at 7:30 p.m., come what may - and the multitude of audio tapes I made of the game sessions in the latter years when I could afford cassette tapes. I am also working from some forty years of published materials that Phil and the rest of us did, and I'm tying all of that material into the book as well so people can see how everything fitted together for us as we gamed with Phil. What I want to do is present his view of his world as he presented it to us, and how we reacted to that presentation.

Now, I should say that I am editing out all of the "pass the chips", "where's the cookies', and "who brought the root beer tonight" parts, and giving you Phil's world as Phil played it. A lot of the book, especially the dialog, is written exactly as it happened all those years ago; a lot more is based on all of the conversations I had with Phil over all those years. All I'm trying to do, really, is tell Phil's stories as they happened with and to us; no more, no less.

There will be some indexing, so you can follow the plots and tell who's who, but this book is being written to be enjoyed; I hope you'll laugh once and a while, maybe cry a bit on occasion, and get more then one or two thrills along the way.

11 comments:

  1. It is good to hear that the bp is coming down - steady as she goes mate!

    I would not mind a new look at 'To Serve' - still have my e-mail?


    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sent you an e-mail at the address I have with the current draft attached; let me know if you get it, if you could. Thanks!

      yours, Chirine

      Delete
  2. I know when I started my blood pressure medication, I was more tired than usual. I realize that you have more going on than I did, but I wanted you to know that.

    Also, I hope you will give some details about your characters' sorcery in your book. Carl at Tita's House of Games informed me that The Art of Tactical Sorcery is out of print, and the author has declined to allow it to be reprinted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am pretty tired, most of the time, but I try to keep plugging away at things.

      I am indeed talking about Chirine's military sorcery in the book; John Tiehen's book on tactical sorcery was written to provide game mechanics that bridged the game between RPG rules and traditional miniatures rules like my own "Qadardalikoi". If you'd like to see the draft, which is now at 71,000 words, please e-mail me and I'll send you a digital copy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy your blog as well, and I am using your notes on things in my own games. They are very good, and quite in keeping with the sprit of the thing as Phil practiced it.

      yours, Chirine

      Delete
    2. Well thank you, it means a lot to hear that from One Who Knows.

      May I join the line-up for a draft copy of "To Serve the Petal Throne?"

      Delete
    3. E-mail sent! Thank you!

      yours, Chirine

      Delete
  4. Great news with the health update!

    That books like it will be a very interesting read when done. Take it slow and easy so we all get to the end, will you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 128 over 76 last night, so we're happy. E-mail me if you'd like to see the draft, and I'll send it to you...

      yours, Chirine

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the offer, but I'll wait.

      Delete