Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Weekly Update for Sunday, March 3rd, 2013

Another dull, boring game run by Yours Truly

Taking it from the top, I am happy to be able to report that I am still stable in the 120 - 130 range for my blood pressure. The Missus had an MRI done this past week, and we're still waiting to hear if they found anything interesting.

I am also slowly getting back up to speed, some five months after The Incident. I am operating at about 70 percent of my old capacity, which for a guy who had his head opened up and pumped out is pretty good. So I think, anyway.

**********

I've had a very good 'weekend', with two very good days off from work. Friday saw another perfect shopping experience at the local IKEA, where I get all my odd lighting and Tekumel furnishings needs, and then Saturday was spent in the game room going through the entire miniatures collection. I have now re-based all of the miniatures as needed; All of the 'RPG' figures are now on their 25mm round bases, the 'unarmored / no armor' (This is a new classification, in "Qadardalikoi"; no need to re-base old figures if you don't want to!) figures on the 30mm rounds I settled on this past summer, and a lot of the odds and ends (like the huge number of Undead) are all now based properly.

The entire collection of some 5,000 figures (Yes, I finally counted them all!) has also now been completely reorganized; you can see the storage system in the photo. Everything has been taken out of the trays, sorted, and put back into the trays in a logical and orderly fashion. I will be publishing an index / bin location chart as soon as I can, once I figure out what I need to have on it.

The idea is to be able to run games at short notice; instead of fumbling around looking for that perfect figure for Capt. Harchar's cook, one simply pulls out the tray marked "Sailors and Marines" and there he is with his red fez and meat cleaver. ("Iron Chef", this ain't.) The entire rest of the miniature figures have also gotten this treatment, and I will be doing the same with the scenery / terrain / Underworld items that occupy the entire north wall of the game room.

I am also happy to announce that the 'Missuma River Yacht Club", our collection of boats and ships, is also moving into a new harbor. I have obtained a set of matching boxes that I'll be installing partitions in, to fit each hull, and with compartments for masts and sails. The entire fleet will be refitted as needed with short lengths of brass tube on the decks to hold the new removable masts I'm adopting as standard for the fleet. many of the older ships and boats - some of which date to the middle 1980s, and are from long-vanished manufacturers - were built with fixed masts and sails, and they are - if I may say so myself, a real pain in the butt to store and transport. Separate masts will solve this problem, as well as allowing more options for derring-do and disasters at sea. I'm kind of pushing on this in advance of the David L. Arneson Memorial Maritime Miniatures Mayhem game, where I have to move the fleet to the venue.

The other big reason for all this reorganization is that I have a lot of miniatures coming in from Howard Fielding of The Tekumel Project, and I simply need the room in the shelves to store them. As Howard continues to go from strength to strength, I am culling out all the old 'substitute' figures that I used to buy - and never painted! Many of these are going to new homes, and I'll retain some for supporting the wonderful new 'indie' games that many of our talented locals are publishing.

**********

I am still working on the date and venue for this year's large game events. I'm calling around to local venues, and I'm also looking at doing something like JonCon, here in the Twin Cities. We did an event like this a year ago this past New Year's, and it worked out very well.

Organizing an event like this is, for us, pretty easy; I still have a huge inventory of 'event management' materials in storage, and we can use all that material (badge holders, table easels, poster holders, lighting, power cables, and all that kind of thing for running a comfortable and well-equipped event. Might as well get some use out of the stuff, and support our Tekumel GMs and friends at Con of the North next year as well.

6 comments:

  1. The image looks positively Nilotic.

    I like the idea of a small local con. Let's talk about that more,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to do so! The one we did just over a year ago went very well, and I'd like to do more.

      Delete
  2. I know this may sound silly, but could you tell some more about what's needed to run an event? My local scene is nearly non-existent and I was thinking about running some small events to try and create a community of gamers. But I have no idea about any of it and the project just seems overwhelming at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not silly at all!!! Would you like a reply here, a post on the subject, or an e-mail to you? I'll be happy to talk about this, as it's something I do pretty well (or so they tell me!) and really enjoy.

      Let me know who you'd like me to answer you, and I'll be happy to do it!

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I've got a new baby and he tends to take up a lot of my computer time as playing with him is just too much fun!

      But in answer to your question a post on the subject would be really helpful.

      Delete
    3. Your question is being answered, even as we speak! :)

      Delete