Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Weekly Update for Sunday, April 7th, 2013

The 'before' picture of the Game Lounge

The 'before' picture of the Game Room

Demolition of the old versions of the Game Room and the Game Lounge is done; the furniture is moved, the mannequins with their costumes dusted off, and all the odds and ends of Gracious Tsolyani Living that have been piling up in the rooms have been all cleaned up and put away properly - scroll tubes, treasure chests (with treasure in them; I am detail-oriented, if nothing else!), and all the barware and serving equipment that I've been collecting for over thirty years has all been separated out and shelved.

The idea, that I'd had back in 2002 when I first stared this thing, was to provide a fully-equipped game room in the style of the gaming that I did in Prof. Barker's basement and on convention trips with Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax. Back in Ye Olden Dayes, we didn't have things like nice scenery; we used colored masking tape, and that looked as tatty as it sounds. So, the idea I had had was to have a place where anyone could run a game with anything and everything that might be useful, from dice to rulers to miniatures to scenery; I have found out the hard way, over the years, that if you don't have all the stuff you need for a game you are going to going to be sitting there at the game table waiting for the French to arrive so you can fight Eylau or something - and the player who's supposed to be there with the Old Guard has forgotten to show up...

Sigh.

Anyway, I'm in the process of refurbishing all that stuff we've been using in games, making room for all the new miniatures from Howard Fielding and The Tekumel Project, and generally cleaning up for the the next decade in gaming. It's been a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.

**********

In health news, I am still stable, and enjoying life. It's better then the alternative.

**********

Plans for the June 9th game event are firming up; e-mail me for the details. I will post more, here on the blog, when I have something that's a little better in the way of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment