Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Weekly Update for August 4th, 2013 - The Tekumel Foundation Needs Your Help!

What the Tekumel Foundation is looking for:
A zip drive and a 5.25" floppy drive to read Phil's old discs

The Tekumel Foundation, on their blog (see link in the left-hand column), has announced that they are looking for help from anyone who has a zip drive or a 5.25" floppy drive in order to be able to read the old discs that Phil had had in his collection. These discs have the drafts of Phil's first two novels, "Swords and Glory", and several other things like Phil's massive set of Ancients / Medievals siege rules and the setting for his "Megarra" miniatures campaign. The rest of Phil's digital files were on his hard drives in his old IMacs; there was the drafts of his later three novels, and the first fourteen chapters of his last Tekumel novel, "Beside The Dark Pool Of Memory"; the latter is the beginnings of a new story arc for Tekumel, as well as tying up some of the loose ends from the first one - the accession of Mirusya to the Petal Throne, a story arc that he started back in 1950. (The Foundation used to have this kind of equipment available through The Missus,  but lost their access to it when The Missus had her contract terminated by Mrs. Barker back in September of 2012; The Missus had been working for her to catalog Phil's book collection, and had also been working on accessing Phil's digital files and had bought the drives needed to read all of the old discs - see the picture, above - as part of my former work as Phil's Archivist for the Tekumel Foundation.)

Anyway, the Tekumel Foundation now has a new IT person, but they don't have a zip drive; if you can help the Foundation out, please contact them through their blog. Thanks!!!


The terrain tiles, in their new homes

I promised pictures of the newly-cut terrain tiles, and here they are in their new homes - plastic tubs, all marked with unique IDs and with plastic pockets on the end for inventory / packing lists. The goal is to have these go all packed and ready to go, so that they are to hand when we need them for games. The tiles are a layer of 3/8" Masonite or MDF with a layer of 1/4" expanded styrofoam 'bead board' laminated together; they have been painted with a base coat, given a good texture with sawdust, and then painted again with a base coat and detailed with my airbrushes. We have 64 of the 9.5" x 9.5" 'temperate' tiles, and 38 of the 9.5" x 9.5" 'arid' tiles. I still have to get the 'maritime' tiles packed (these being rivers, streams, coasts, and other water features) and inventoried.


MMGA's 'Recon' Event, August 3rd, 2013

Also in a miniatures vein, I had a very nice excursion out to the Minnesota Miniatures Gaming Association's 'Recon' event yesterday; lots of nice games, and people having fun. I may do a game here next year, depending on how my schedule looks at the time.

(I had a very odd experience at the event; I have known most of these guys for some thirty years, and they were astonished to see me; somebody from the local area has been telling folks that I am dead, I gather, and so they were all surprised to see me walking around. I assured them that I am merely following the current trend for all things zombie...)


Today is the end of my two weeks' vacation, and I am back to my 'normal' schedule. I am happy to be able to say that all of the 'heavy lifting' is done, and all I have left to do is some tidying up of loose debris. I have to install the new lighting I got for the actual workbench, and one that's done in the next few days I'm back to painting the lead mountain and getting back to writing. Having all the big projects done is a huge relief. I also got to spend time with the family too!


Further experiments with the Sony 'Blogger' camera have been most rewarding; with the game room and game lounge now in good shape, I can use them as a 'studio' to do little video segments which you'll be able see on my video website. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'm hoping to be able to share a lot of information about Tekumel with you through these little programs. I'll keep all of you updated, of course!


  1. The tiles look great! If I might make one suggestion - paint the edges of the tiles in an appropriate color for the tile type. It will make the seams of the tiles less obvious when deployed for use.

  2. I agree; the white of the newly-cut edges looks tatty, and makes the seams really stand out as you mentioned. I'm going to paint all the edges a nice sandy earth color; I had done this on the original 23" x 40" tiles, ands it really helped.