Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Weekly Update for Sunday, January 19th, 2014 - A Nice Holiday!

The Carlton Hotel in Lucknow;
Phil started his first Tekumel novel, "No Heights of Glory", here, in room 211.
Some of the new figures from Mike Burns;
his next Indiegogo campaign starts February 3rd.
I have a holiday tonight, in honor of Dr. King, and I am looking forward to a night of rest and contemplation. In the meantime...

It's been a tiring week, here at The Workbench; I think I have a minor cold, and have been trying to push fluids and get as much rest as possible. I have been able to answer questions on Google+, and the new PC has been set up to do Google Hangouts.

I have also done pretty substantial upgrades on the home office's computers; the trusty old IMac now has a really good audio system attached, and I can hear things a whole lot better then I used to. I can also do audio and video editing a lot better, so I have hopes of some cool things happening. The Dell PC that handles my Skype links and now the Google+ Hangouts also has been given an audio upgrade, and we have a lot better audio links as the result.

I will be working in the game room tonight for a bit, getting some shelves rearranged and some stuff put away. Nothing too hot or heavy - I need a little time off.

**********

One of the things we've been discussing on Google+ has been the publication history of Phil's novels; I have posted a photo that was very kindly sent to me by a regular reader of the Carlton Hotel in Lucknow, where Phil started "No Heights of Glory", his first Tekumel novel, in the 1950s. I found the fifty-odd pages rolled up in the map tubes when I did an inventory of his Tekumel collection; he'd lost them, at some point...

**********

Mike Burns has announced that he's planning on starting his third Ancient Egyptian Indiegogo campaign on February 3rd, and has posted photos of some of the new figures. I am delighted with the list of some thirty-six figures that he's planning on offering; they will fill in a lot of gaps in my palace staff and townsfolk. I will post more information as soon as I get it.

**********

I've been asked why I want 'civilian' figures like these for my collection; to many gamers, they don't seem very useful at first glance. Well, I like to run games that are a little different then the usual; one game I have always wanted to run is one that we played many years ago out at Phil's - we spent a whole night shopping our way through a city marketplace. We were looking for clues in a mystery, but we spent most of the time just haggling and talking. It was great fun, and I want to do that 'scene' for people.

These figures are also useful for 'party at the clan house',  'reception at the palace', 'a day at the arena', and similar games; I find that miniatures inspire me and kick-start my imagination. I use them to tell my stories - they help me to explore the limits of my vision...

1 comment:

  1. Those miniatures might be useful for Thumis temple guards...

    ReplyDelete