Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Ditlana Redux - The New Table

The new table, awaiting stain on the inside of the legs.

The legs are on, and these sit on casters. The table rolls freely on the linoleum, but will stay in place on the rugs that I usually put down for the gamers. The 'playing tray' is 48" x 48"; that's an Authentic Gygaxian Bounce Stick on the table to give you an idea of scale.

The fleet of folding tables fits underneath the table, to save floor space, but I think I'll move them out into the game storage shed when I have the chance. The beat-up old metal stool, on the other hand, stays right where it is in the game room; it's the same one that I sat on down in Prof. Barker's basement for several years until I got 'promoted' to one of the folding chairs at the end of his green-carpeted Ping Pong table.

Next job is to re-route the power to the track lights, so as to clear the wall outlet - which is behind one of the table legs, when I have the table in the normal gaming position. The dimmer switch in the blue box will also be recessed into the wall for a neater look.

Total investment in this project is about six hours of my time, and just under $20 for the wood stain and some supplies. I can do things like this pretty easily, as I have an 'installed' base of tools and equipment left over from my days in theater and technical production; I have lots of 'left-over' lumber in stock, from various sets I've built in the past, so building this table was mostly a matter of getting the lumber and sheet goods out of the garage and cutting it to size. After that, it was simple assembly work.

So? Whaddya think?

10 comments:

  1. Very cool. I envy you your handy skills like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming along very nicely. Love the fact that you've kept the old metal stool from your gaming days with Prof Barker - that's a mighty good luck totem ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The stool was a gift from Mrs. Barker after Phil passed away; I still sit on the thing... :)

      -chirine

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it'll make setting games up a lot easier, and they'll look a lot nicer, too... :)

      Delete
  4. I really like it!

    But what's a Bounce Stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See also "Chainmail", by Gygax and Perrin. When firing a bombard, the bombardier (yes, that's where it comes from!) declares "Firing short!" or "Firing long!", without pre-measuring the range to the intended target or any such new-fangled nonsense. The Bounce Stick is placed with the 'Muzzle End' at the muzzle of the bombard, and a six-inch ruler at the opposite end. Roll 1d6, if you would, and slew the end of the Bounce Stick as follows, to simulate the inherent inaccuracy of medieval gunpowder weapons:

      1: Round drifts left 3";
      2: Round drifts left 1.5";
      3,4: Round on target;
      5: Round drifts right 1.5";
      6: Round drifts right 3".

      If firing 'short', anything in the white areas of the stick is hit; if firing 'long', anything in the black areas of the stick is hit.

      You ought to see what we do for Congreve rockets! :)

      - chirine

      Delete
    2. That's really cool.

      You know, the more I read you the more I realize that once my son is old enough for me to have nice things (so, 30) that I'm going to end up Wargaming. I've given up any pretense that I won't. It's going to happen. End of story.

      Delete
    3. :)

      You'd be amazed at how early you can start the next generation off on the game table. My brother brings my young nephew up from their home in Rochester to game with me, and he does very well at it. He's careful with the figures, enjoys the games, and is (I think) all of a dozen years old.

      Do something with your kids; you'll never regret it.

      - chirine

      Delete