Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, May 11th, 2014 - The New Table Inaugurated!

Terrain tiles and trees in place - we're off and running!

The hottest news in what has been a very busy week is that the new game table - and by extension, the newly revamped game room / lounge - was the scene of our first game on the table and using the newly-redeveloped terrain system. The game surface itself looked very good, I thought; the tiles all fit with some 'drift' on the far edges to spare, and it took about fifteen minutes to set and to strike the game. An additional boon is that I no longer have to 'flip' the entire basement to make room for the game sessions; everything is now set and ready, and pretty much all I have to do is set out the game table and put the chips and pretzels in the bowls on the buffet table over in the lounge space.

It all makes my life much, much easier, and keep my blood pressure down in the safe range.

The next stage of the Ditlana is getting into the area of The Workbench proper, cleaning it off and sorting out all of the tools that I re-discovered when I was cleaning up the game room. I am a fearful collector of tools - which is handy, because it makes projects like this a relative snap! - but I have to make sure to put everything away so I can find it again!

**********

Exciting news from Howard Fielding and The Tekumel Project! He's released the Swamp Folk, and also gotten a new catalog up and on-line. I am delighted; I've been waiting for Swamp Folk for over thirty years, and these look great!!!

**********

I am delighted to announce that the miniatures from Mike Burns' 'Ancient Egyptian Harem Figures' Indiegogo have arrived, and they are really nice. Very crisp, very clean, and full of what I call 'charm'; these figures are perfect for parties at the palace, confrontations at the clan house,  and mayhem in the marketplace! I will get photos of them up for you after I get them painted.

**********

Yesterday's game was Shunned Ones vs. Humans, and quite a romp for everyone. I will have the photos up on my Photobucket page in a little while for you to be amused at. A lot of great playing and sportsmanship, and a fitting 'first outing' for the new table! Thank you, all of you!!!

6 comments:

  1. The table looks great. Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing (and hearing about) many more adventures unfolding upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think the table worked well; the drinks trays worked nicely, and kept all the usual gaming debris off the playing surface. The tiles all fit nicely, with very little gapping between tiles, and I think the photos show this pretty well. All in all, I was very happy about how the whole facility worked. Normally, players like to stand up during miniatures games, so I kind of optimized the table for this, as well as for storage of our gaming stuff. This, in turn, cleared the 'game lounge' right out, as you can see in the photos on my Photobucket page.

    And yes, the adventures will unfold - my goal is to streamline the 'physical plant' needs of game play so that I can concentrate on the stories that I want to tell, and I think that this set-up will really enhance and enable that!

    -chirine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see the shots of the wider "games lounge" - I'd forgotten you had mannequins in Tekumel outfits.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I have about a 30' by 15' space in which to hold forth; the game room proper is on the north end of the room, and the lounge is the south end.

      The mannequins are about the best option for costume display; not the cheapest, I'll admit, but they do give you a much better idea of what clothing looks like 'as worn'. We made quite a few costumes from Phil's drawings, 'back in the day', and I thought that displaying them would give a better feel for his Tekumel.

      One of our dreams, way back when, was to be able to furnish a Tsolyani room the way it 'should' be. I've managed to get enough stuff together to do that, and I'd love to run a LARP where the players are investigators who have to search the room to find some evidence. I think it's be heaps of fun - they'd be trying to get the search done before they were discovered, so it'd be a 'beat the clock' kind of game. Must try this... :)

      -chirine

      Delete
    3. I think Rachel might put her foot down if I started bringing mannequins home ;-) Perhaps if we move to a bigger place, I might be able to swing something like that (at least get a full-size suit of armour on a stand as I've always wanted).

      By the way, that's a great idea for a simple, yet challenging, LARP.

      Delete
    4. :)

      I'm lucky; the Missus is the better costumer of the two of us, and likes to show her work off... :)

      I am delighted that you like the idea for the room-search LARP; I've always been amused at the way most players simply roll dice to search a room; I have to admit that I like to make them work a bit for the loot... :)

      -chirine

      Delete