Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Game For A Stormy Saturday - And Videos, Too!

The Underworld, just chock full of Dire Perils...

The next installment of our 'micro-campaign' happened today, with three players taking parties of warriors and magic-users down those inviting shafts that led downward from the tops of the various Temples. I assumed that this time, everyone would bring ropes, and they did. After much rappelling downward, in best commando style - Bruce Willis would be proud, I tell you! - Our Heroes descended into the stygian depths and lit a few torches.

Things got tense very quickly, as the Temple of Ksarul's guards ambushed the parties at the bottoms of the shafts; the players responded by charging the ambushers, and then set to work looting the place as soon as their opponents had been seen off. They don't raise them (or grow them in the vats) in the Temple of Ksarul to be stupid, however, so the defenders sent their own party of intrepid heroes up the one shaft they controlled and set up an ambush party on the top of one of the temple pyramids to - hopefully! - pick off anybody that they could see. They also brought out the 'heavy artillery' to begin a counter-attack, with the notion that the hidden Hra could be used to ambush the human interlopers once they started to attack the Headless Ones. The Qol set up a very nice layered multi-phase ambush in the side rooms and corridors, if I do say so myself; I played the Qol, and it was a very nice change of pace to be able to actually play in a game for once!

"Those pesky player-characters!" as Phil used to say, didn't rise to the bait; instead, after some skirmishing, they bagged up all the loot they could and headed back up to the surface. Some sniping later, they made off with their loot - vowing to be back, and to bring their friends...

We recorded this game on video, as best we could; the little Sony "Bloggie" camera records in half-hour segments, and we had to remember to check the camera every now and then to make sure we were still 'on'. The video segments are now up on my You Tube channel:


This link should take you right there, and you can always use the link over in the left-hand column of this page; scroll down to the bottom, please.

As mentioned previously here in these pages, the Panasonic camera  provided a view of the Underworld for the players; the intention was to provide anyone not pushing lead around the table with a view of what was happening. It all worked, I am delighted to report; the 'modesty curtains' on the sides of the upper level did a good job of hiding the lower board during the initial moves on the surface, and the bits of cloth I placed over the individual rooms and chambers kept the contents of those hidden from the players until they kicked the doors open.

It was, everyone agreed, quite the jolly romp and a great way to spend a stormy afternoon. Everyone had fun, and vowed to be back with more help for the next session of this little 'micro-campaign'. I'll look forward to it, myself...


16 comments:

  1. Stormy indeed! Our street was sealed off when a big tree fell. Sounds like it was a great game! Wish I had felt well enough to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a mess, wasn't it? We lost power here at noon, and I thought for sure that I was going to have to run this game by candlelight, or something. We got power back on about one, so things went ahead.

    We missed you; Rob said you'd e-mailed, and I lost power just as I was checking my e-mail. Just take it easy, and get better! I managed not to drop the bloggie, so the game is now up on You Tube for you to be amused by...

    - chirine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. My wife was out for the day (for work) and there was no World Cup coverage until later this evening, so I gave the rabbit hutch its weekly clean, made myself a stack of snacks and drinks, fired up the YouTube channel on the lounge TV and enjoyed myself two hours of old school Tekumel magic.

    Very impressive. Great miniatures and terrain; I particularly enjoyed the moments when the room lights were dimmed/turned off and we saw the underworld "as the player characters did".. A truly memorable game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome! I really enjoyed setting this game up, and then watching everyone think their way through it. I played the defenders, which I do pretty conservatively, but I think we all had fun.

    I hope this came through on the video; I think I managed to keep recording all the way through. And I do agree - the little micro-flashlights for 'torches' are fun, as are the blue lantern lights. I love doing stuff like this, and I think it shows... :)

    - chirine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, your enthusiasm is contagious!

      Delete
    2. Well, I try. I love to make things and share them with people; for me, it's all about having my friends over on an afternoon and having some fun. I'm delighted that you and everyone else can come along for the ride, and even more delighted that you enjoy this little corner of the Internet.

      - chirine

      Delete
  5. I've watched the videos on youtube and I'm jealous! I've missed being up there and playing with the gang! I hope to make it before the football season starts and you time becomes limited. Thanks for making the videos!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to see you, of course,and there will be plenty of opportunities. (I'll have the football schedule up as soon as I can get it typed in.) The Big Idea with the 'micro-campaigns' is to have something on the table all the time, so that when people can play, there's something for them to play... :)

      - chirine

      Delete
  6. Was hipped to your videos through Joe Bloch's blog: very enjoyable stuff, and spent several hours watching and reading your blog. Thanks for taking the time to film and post.

    If you don't mind revealing, is there a particular edition/system of Tekumel you're using for your micro-campaign? I don't recognize it (though I'm not especially familiar with Tekumel as a system). It's reminiscent of an older war-game style (like OD&D's "Chainmail" version) save that it uses percentile dice.

    Great modeling by the way...only wish I had the time (and garage space) to devote to such a collection.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! May I use your question as the basis for a post about how I run games? I don't think I can do your and Dwight's questions justice in a short reply / comment...

      - chirine

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. Looking forward to reading it.
      : )

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I'll get on this for you!

      - chirine

      Delete
  7. I've managed to get halfway through the videos so far. What fun! Your tabletop set up reminds me of how we do our skirmish games. By the way thanks for plugging the products you use and enjoy. Sometimes I find something new to ogle! Your rule system seems pretty easy to play with from what I can tell. It sounds like the method you've described from the old days. Thank you so much for sharing your efforts with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, 'skirmish games' are what we do, and what we did 'back in the day'. May I use your comment as part of a post on how I do games? As I said to JB, I don't think I can do you the proper justice in a short reply!

      - chirine

      Delete
    2. Certainly! I'm very fortunate in having a large pool of gamers within a 60 mile radius to game with. That may seem like a long distance, but folks tend to be spread out a bit up here in the Pacific Northwest! A not to dissimilar problem for gamers all over from what I gather.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I'll get to typing then, shall I? :)

      - chirine

      Delete