Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, June 22nd, 2014 - This And That, And I Can Feel My Fingers!

Yet another photo from The Night We Burned Hekellu Down
(Isn't there a song like that?)

The really good news, this Sunday, is that all of my splints on my poor fingers have been off for most of the week, and I can feel them once again. The fingertip of the 'ring finger' of my right hand is still numb, due to the swelling, but at least I can do such exciting things as open cans of Dinty Moore beef stew (Professor M. A. R. Barker's Official Meal Of Choice, when his wife was away visiting her family - at least until he got bored with heating up the cans on the stove and then he'd call us to come drive him to a local eatery.) and corned beef hash. My diet has improved tremendously with the addition of solid food, and I am a much happier camper. I still have to keep some bandages on the healing abrasions, and I will have some new scars to add to my collection of same, but it could have been much worse.

The really bad news is that The Missus is going in for a biopsy Thursday, and I'm scared witless.

**********

I gather that my posting the videos of the game session from last Saturday's little excursion into the Underworld has sparked some interest - thank you all for your posts on your blogs, your very kind comments, and your interest in what we do here! We try to amuse and entertain, and have as much fun as we can in the process.

**********

I have done some updates to the "People Worth Listening To" section over in the left-hand column of this page. I have added several blogs that I find very interesting - I see them come up in the 'Traffic Sources' section of the 'Stats', and I mosey over and take a look at them when I can get the chance. I'm fascinated, really; there's a lot of really good writing on these blogs, and I am learning a lot about our shared hobby! I have found these blogs to be very helpful and informative, and a lot more so then a lot of the sites and fora that I used to visit - there, my questions tended to get lost in the flow of the message traffic.

**********

Lost in the message traffic was the news about yesterday's 'Free RPG Day' events; I missed this. It sounded like fun - I get out so little these days, it would have been a nice excursion. So it goes; there will be other days!

**********

One of the downsides of being a homeowner is dealing with things like the four inches of rain we got on Thursday morning. It started while I was at work, and continued for the rest of the morning. We did get some water in, as it was a record rainfall both in terms of volume and intensity, but we have taken precautions; we manned the wet vac, fired up the oscillating fans, turned up the dehumidifier, and the basement is nice and dry. No harm done; I keep everything up on caster-mounted platforms to make it all easier to move anyway, so we'd have to be on the verge of real danger before we had anything happen to the game room and lounge. The linoleum is now very clean, however...

**********

The 'micro-campaign' idea seems to be working out nicely. The next round will come when the players work out with their clans and temples how to drum up some reinforcements to come back and see what else they can find out about the Underworld they just got through looking into, and we'll play that out when next we meet.

Again, I am now keeping what amounts to 'open hours'; there will always be a game of some sort on the table here. It might be a board game like "War of Wizards", it might be a role-playing game, or it might be a miniatures skirmish; the idea is to have game sessions that don't impinge on people's very busy and very scheduled lives, and simply have some fun and laughter with friends.

**********

As part of the therapy for my poor hand, I have been getting some painting done; I modified one of those thick pencil holders for people suffering from arthritis to hold my brushes, and so I've actually managed to be productive during the week just past. Howard Fielding, that crafty man who runs The Tekumel Project, sent me some figures recently which not only inspired me to get some painting done but also write another 2,000 words in "To Serve The Petal Throne"; Howard's figures reminded me of when Chirine and Si N'te were travelling from Meku to Fasiltum, to join up with Lord Takodai (this is just after the end of The Affair of The Malchairan Emerald, and just before the beginning of the Hekellu story arc of Phil's.) Photos, when I have them ready!

I've also been sorting out the piles of spare miniatures, getting most of them ready to be sent to their new homes. I am concentrating on the figures that really work for Tekumel, and closing out the figures that I bought 'on spec', to see if they worked in the Tekumel setting. Quite a few years ago, I bought a box of Games Workshop plastic Haradrim - edit: these are 'Easterlings', not 'Haradrim', I've discovered; sorry about that! - from their first wave of "Lord of the Rings" range. I've been vaguely dissatisfied with them since I bought them, and they've been sitting in a drawer of the spares rack for years. This is the old box - eight archers, eight swordsmen, and four spearmen - and I had never really gotten a good feel for what I could use them for.

Inspiration hit, the other night, as I realized that they do look very Salarvyani with their flat-topped helmets and closed visors. (Think the Nchesh of the Mace of Steel -  I think that's the ones that I thought of, and I'll check.) After all the excitement the night we had the Salarvyani assassins and mercenaries in a unwelcome guests, we executed the ones who really needed to be executed - there were some very nasty folks, in amongst the honest mercenaries - and hired the good ones. A number of them volunteered (really, they did! I was flabberghasted!) to be Lady Djullanar's guardsmen, under the command of her personal bodyguard Lady Serin; not a cushy posting, by any means, but an honorable one.

The plastic Easterlings just jumped out at me as being perfect miniatures for these troopers, so we now have the guard on The Workbench being painted. They look resplendent in their black leather and bronze scale armor - I departed from my usual practice of using flat white enamel spray paint for my primer color / coat, and did these figures in satin black for that 'hard leather' look. I am very pleased with them, and I am looking forward to seeing their adventures unfold!

**********

Thanks again, and have fun gaming!




9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Ill let her know...

      - chirine

      Delete
  2. Dear Chirine,
    all the best for your wife's biopsy. If you're religious, allow me to send a short prayer (not Christian, though). If not: fingers crossed!

    Norbert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Any help is greatly welcomed!

      - chirine

      Delete
  3. Best wishes for the biopsy indeed.

    I hope everything is ok with both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We hope this is going to go well...

      - chirine

      Delete
  4. Hope all goes well on Thursday. Will be thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hopes, too, that things go well for your and the Missus.

    ReplyDelete