Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, June 29th, 2014 - Health News, And The Latest From The Workbench

I still love this get-well card from Howard Fielding!

First off. let me thank all of you who wrote, e-mailed, and commented here about The Missus' biopsy. It's very kind of all of you, and she really appreciated both your kind words and your concern. (So did I, for that matter!)

The procedure went well; because of all her other health issues, any kind of invasive surgical procedure is fraught with potential hazards, many of them life-threatening. The doctors know this, and so were very careful. The prognosis is very good, I am happy to be able to report, and things are looking up. The ultrasound exam on Friday also went well, and some more positive news there as well. She's tired out, as I am, but we're still here.

In my case, the crushed fingers are doing nicely; only the ring finger on the right hand is still swollen up, but I can now feel things with it. I just have to be careful not to bang into it with anything, because then it really smarts!!!

As a result of all this good news - and I suspect, staying away from a number of Internet sites that drive me batty - my blood pressure is down nicely from the highs that it was hitting a number of weeks ago. Progress, progress!

**********

I had my first day of 'retail open hours' yesterday for the scheduled game session, and I thought that it worked very well. I had everything ready in plenty of time, and with very little effort and spike in blood pressure. I'll be doing this every second and fourth Saturday in a calendar month, and I think both this and the idea of the 'micro-campaign' - where there is always a game set on the table, whether RPG or miniatures - is the way I'll be going into the foreseeable future.

**********

I am also getting a lot of the surplus miniature collection out and boxed up; there are  a lot of figures that I've been hoarding, 'just in case', and the time has come to cull the herd. I've been at this for something like forty years, so there are a lot of loose figures to be sorted - it seems like every box I open in the basement has more miniatures in it!

What was I thinking?

Well, I know what I was thinking, back in the day. One never knows what one might need, and I tended to pick stuff up when I saw it, usually at a huge discount; many of those figures never even got a coat of primer, so they are going off to new homes. The rest, I'll be making sure that I have a positive use for in my games, and get them all painted up for your amusement.

**********

I have been asked to elaborate on my 'micro-campaign' concept, and I'll take a run at this for you. The idea is to provide fun games for my players, and for me, and at the same time make sure that I can deal with the busy schedules - both mine and theirs!. So, I have a 'meta-game' going, just like the Professor did in his groups, and players can drop in and out as they can and always find something to play. This isn't a new concept, by the way, nor is it anything I thought up - see that wonderful book, "Setting Up A Wargames Campaign" by Tony Bath, and which is available on Amazon:



**********

Thank you all, once again! More to come!

15 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the good news all round on the health front. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that everything's alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The doctors think they caught everything in very good time, so we're pretty happy.

      - chirine

      Delete
  3. It is good to hear the good news about both of yours health! Also wanted to point out a new version of Tony's book that I bought. Here is a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/BathS-Ancient-Wargaming-Society-Ancients/dp/0557111803/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404051079&sr=1-1&keywords=tony+bath%27s+ancient+wargaming

    I actually received an email from John Curry thanking me for purchasing the book.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your best wishes!

      And thank you to for the link! Is this the 'omnibus' book that has all of Tony Bath's Ancients writings in it? I'll have to get a copy!!!

      - chirine

      Delete
    2. It has the following in it:
      The Peltast and Pila Ancient Wargaming Rules
      The complete book, Setting up a Wargames Campaign
      The Legend of Hyboria

      I purchase it after you recommending the "Setting up a Wargames Campaign" book but not being able to find a copy of the out of print book.

      Mark

      Delete
    3. Oh, very cool! I'll have to get a copy! Thank you!

      - chirine

      Delete
  4. Like to many others, I'm happy to hear the positive news about the health issues.

    May I suggest you stay away from those sites that makes you batty, permanently?

    Yeah, I know how I am myself, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood! :)

      I am being very careful, and very choosy about where I appear on the web. The plan seems to be working, I am happy to say.

      - chirine

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear the good news. I have high blood pressure myself though to date have never been in danger of a "brain bleed", or whatever they call it.

    I wonder what that "Legend of Hyboria" is mentioned above. I have Tony's campaign book and have read his accounts in Battle and Military Modelling magazines. Perhaps this is a compilation of those stories? (Which would be very cool, as I am sure I don't have them all).

    Best Regards (both to you and the missus),

    Howard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words and best wishes!

    I thought I'd had a stroke, but the doctors told me that it wasn't; the pressure in my brain was simply so high that the fluid component of my blood was leaking right through the cell walls of the blood vessels in the lower portion of my brain. Hence the phrase 'brain bleed', which was the easiest way to describe what happened to me.

    I'm hoping that you're getting help with your blood pressure - you don't need to have happen to you what happened to me!

    I'll be getting a copy of the book, so I can let you know what the sections is - I think you are right, though!

    - chirine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard - as someone who has survived a stroke, I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your blood pressure under control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news on the health. Have to give this an 'ahem' moment though...' many of those figures never even got a coat of primer, so they are going off to new homes.'..........am I still forgotten??? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not forgotten you. I've had too many people demand that I clean up after their little accidents, and it's wasted the better part of three years of my life. The refrain around these parts, for the past thirty-five years, has been "Chirine will fix it!"; I've had to deal with everything from Dave Arneson booking a wargame convention at a University of Minnesota facility under Phil's departmental budget number by mistake to the President and Chairman of the Tekumel Foundation demanding that I bring the Temple of Vimuhla model to Phil's memorial event - which I had to fight for, too; one of the leading lights of the Tekumel Foundation said that they shouldn't get involved, as it was Ambereen's problem and not theirs.

      I was so damn glad to have the brain bleed, actually; it gave me the perfect excuse to sever my ties with local fandom and gaming, as well as the on-line fan and game scene. I'm finally getting things done here at the house, and just in time to deal with the Missus' health issues.

      You are getting first refusal on all the loose figures that I've been sitting on since the late 1970s. I'll be getting photos of each 'lot' to you, and anything you don't want goes for sale. I am keeping only the figures that please me, and are my 'core' Tekumel figures.

      No, to repeat, you haven't been forgotten.

      - chirine

      Delete