Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2nd, 1863 - An Update: The Pathology Report, and A Small History Lession

Originally owned by Sgt. C. B. Tirrell,
and worn on this day in 1863.

This morning, on a very hot and muggy July day south of the obscure little Pennsylvania town of Gettysburg, the First Minnesota Regiment of Volunteer Infantry mustered 262 men. In the course of the day, all those years ago, a gap opened up in the middle of the line of the Federal Army of the Potomac. General Cadmus Wilcox, leading a brigade of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, saw the gap open up and realized that he could - with immediate and resolute action - break through the Union line and quite possibly win the war for the Confederate States of America.

The most senior Federal on the spot, General Winfield Hancock, looked around him and saw that there was only one regiment of soldiers to hand; the attacking Confederate brigade had five such regiments. Horrified, Hancock cried out: "My God, are these all the men we have here?!?"

Hancock was called "The Superb" because of his justly-won reputation for skill and leadership on the battlefield, and he made the only decision that he could; he ordered the First Minnesota to charge into the on-rushing enemy and buy time for the Union command with their lives. Their counter-attack, spoiling attack, call it what you will, would buy precious minutes that would allow reinforcements to arrive and plug the gap in the line.

The First Minnesota fixed bayonets, and bought General Hancock and the Army of the Potomic those minutes - at, it has to be said, a terrible cost. At the regiment's muster call in the evening, at the end of the day's fighting, 47 men were all that were left to answer the roll call.

There's more of their story here:


***

The Missus got the pathology report back from her biopsy; it was not good news. The tissue sample was malignant.

She will be seeing the surgeon tomorrow, and they'll schedule the surgery then. Luckily, I have enough time off 'banked' so that I can be there for her; she was there for me when I had the surgery for my brain bleed, so I figure that I can be there for hers.

We've always been there for each other; we've been together now for some twenty-five years - half her entire life, actually, and almost half of mine. We will fight this. We will never, ever, give in, and we will prevail.

As we go forward, I may be a little slow in answering your e-mails and posts; I am sorry for that, but I can only plead that I have a finite limit to what I can do. I will keep this blog going, and try to tell you all the stories that I have to tell about Phil and his creation; it my just take a little longer then I had thought.

We will still be here. We just may not be as active as we formerly were.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

yours, chirine

17 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the test results. I will be praying for both of you.

    Dwight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll let her know. She's pretty depressed at the news; she feels she's being a burden. Your very kind words will help a lot with that - thank you!

      - chirine

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Your very kind text message came in just as we left the clinic after the appointment with the surgeon, and was really welcome!!! Thank you!

      - chirine

      Delete
  3. "We will fight this. We will never, ever, give in, and we will prevail."

    The proper attitude!

    Do what you must for your wife; we will be waiting patiently, cheering you both on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We'll be still be here, and we'll keep on fighting!

      - chirine

      Delete
  4. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Missus always loves to hear from you, and really appreciated your kind words!

      - chirine

      Delete
  5. Oh my! Sorry to hear the sad news. You will both be in my prayers.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We think of you a lot, and hope that you are feeling well yourself!

      - chirine

      Delete
  6. Best wishes to the Missus, Chirene, and my hopes for a full and speedy recovery. Howard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll make sure to tell her, too!

      I got the new Lorun painted up for her to look at, and she really likes the dynamic poses on the figures - "wonderful!", she said...

      - chirine

      Delete
  7. please deliver my best wishes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I certainly will!!!

      - chirine

      Delete
    2. Morning. Was wondering how you came to possess the First Minnesota Volunteers pin? J Tirrell

      Delete
    3. Morning. Was wondering how you came to possess the First Minnesota Volunteers pin? J Tirrell

      Delete
    4. Not mine; this particular pin is in the collection of the Minnesota State Historical Society. My connection with the 1st Minnesota is through Dave Arneson - he was one of the founders of the re-enactment group, and most of the staff at Adventure Games were also members, like John Grossman and Gene Hendrickson. On one of our trips to Gen Con, we needed to move the trailer being towed by the van, so I simply gave the order to "Prolongue the trailer, men!" and since we'd all been out with the Paulson brothers and their artillery, it took no time at all to reset the limber... :)

      Delete