Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, July 13th, 2014 - Astonishing And Depressing Scandals From This Past Week

Ssu or Temple of Ksarul folks? The difference is crucial...

Well, I tell ya...

It has been a very depressing week, here at The Workbench. The health news is pretty good, better then we hoped for; I had a great check-up on Friday, for example.

What's got me down are two things:

First, the Internet thuggery by some folks regarding two of the consultants for the new D & D fifth edition.

Personally, I don't have an issue with either Zak S. or RPGPundit; they are certainly vocal, upfront, and abrasive to many. That does not excuse the allegations being made against them in several corners of the web, and I find those allegations both reprehensible and irresponsible. If anything, these allegations and accusations confirm my decision to spend a lot less time on the web; if this is what passes for discourse, you can count me out.

Secondly, the breaking scandal regarding Marion Zimmer Bradley.

You can find out all the ghastly details by doing a simple Google search, and so I will not go into the details here; I'd have to wash my computer afterwards, and I would prefer not to have to do that. For a fan / gamer of my generation, the news about her and her family comes as a real shock; she was one of the people we looked up to and admired, and to have this whole horrible mess surface is causing me to rethink a lot of my experiences in fandom over the years. Again, it confirms my desire to pack up the tent and walk away.

Now, I will say that there is good news, this week; Howard Fielding has announced the pre-release sale of the wonderful sculpts for the Tsolyani Legion of the Sapphire Kirtle, and I suggest having a look at his Tekumel Project website to see the pictures. Excellent figures, and i'll be getting my order for them in later this week.

Also in the good news category, Jeff Dee has posted on Google+ that he's moving right along with his "Bethorm" RPG, and I'm delighted to hear this. Bravo!!!

After an annoying moment when I realized that the Dell Desktop computer is too tall for the rolling stand that I had planned to use for it in the game room, I managed to build a new stand that it will fit on. The idea is to be able to offer 'virtual' games from the game room through the Google+ 'Hangout' feature; I've built the new stand so that the webcam we have will get a good view of the game table, and the stand itself is on casters so that it can move around as needed for miniatures or RPG sessions. It also has built-in power outlets and a twenty-five foot long power cable, so it can be a little rolling 'production truck' - the Internet connection is either wireless or off a fifty foot Cat Five cable - and so we can do a lot more for you with what we have.

I am really looking forward to being able to bring 'virtual visitors' into the game room; there is a lot less work for me involved, and I can present a better 'show' this way.

I think the future is bright, myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment