Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, July 20th, 2014: Boats, Daughters, and Biopsy Results

The Art Minds wooden puzzle
(Left to Right: SwordSwinger, Staffswinger, Chirine, Fishface, Harchar)
(Not Shown: Hardtack, the purser; he's below, counting barrels)

It has been a very busy week, here at The Workbench, so I'll be as concise as I can.

**********

As regular readers have commented; I am in the middle of a series of posts about how I run my 'Braunstein' games. I'll be back to this series as soon as I get some photos shot of some of the devices I use to help run games, like the lasers and periscopes.

**********

I have a daughter coming in from Zurich on Tuesday, so I'm getting the guest room ready for her. She'll be here for several weeks, visiting her family and friends in the Twin Cities

**********

I found a very nice little ship model the other day; it's one of the 'Art Minds' wooden puzzles, and looks very nice when built up. I have several of these kits; the Frigate (pictured), the Junk, and the Dragon Barge. I think the scale on these might be close to that of 15mm figures, but they'll work for 25mm; you want smaller ships for the game table anyway, so they don't take up all that much room.

I should also note that this ship, if it was full-sized, is actually larger then the full-sized sailing replica of the Nina that we had the opportunity to visit last year. Both Nina and Pinta are tiny, but they got across the Atlantic; they'd make perfect game ships.

This is a very trim little ship, and I'm really looking forward to getting her all glued up and painted; the photo is of her in her 'snapped together' form. I'll also probably work out how to waterline her, too.

**********

The Missus had another biopsy, for another problem. This one came back negative, so we're only having to fight one serious issue. She goes in for her surgery on August 13th, and then the radiation therapy after that. She wants me to thank everyone for their kind words and support, too!

**********

In response to a number of questions, I have posted a new page of Cautionary Tales, taken from my Unauthorized Autobiography. I hope they explain why I don't do conventions, and why I try to stay out of fannish feuds and away from fandom in general. Link in the left-hand column.


No comments:

Post a Comment