Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 - Daughters, Doctors, And Diversions

A Hlyss'-eye-view of Capt. Harchar's luncheon buffet

Here we are, another week gone before the start of the Twin Cities' football season - I am not talking about the real thing, but rather the game played in the Good Old USA - and I will be working a lot of overtime in the nxet few months as we have the local NFL team in my employer's stadium for the next two tears. Their season runs from August 8th to December 28th, so reporting from hereabouts may get a little spotty - it all depends on the random nature of my sleep schedule.

**********

Fourth Daughter is in the middle of her visit, and reports that the facilities in the Chamber of the Daughters are satisfactory. The new paint scheme has met with her approval, as have the soft cushions and comfy chair. She reports that the three cardinals talking in funny voices are a little distracting, but then - wait for it! - she wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!

The figures of which, by the way, are available from:


Go ahead. You know you want to.

**********

And a big thank-you to every one who had called, e-mailed, and commented on The Missus' health! She really appreciates the kind words and thoughts, and asked me to thank all of you.

Her surgery is scheduled for next week, and then she's getting a week of radiation therapy. She had her pre-op physical this past week, and we had a scare over a potential heart murmur; still no hard news on this, but we're hoping that it's nothing serious. Likewise another set of biopsies for another set of issues came back negative, so we only have to deal with one major crisis - and several minor ones, but we're used to that.

**********

I am coming down off a summer cold, but the good news is that my right hand is almost back to full functionality. The little finger is in excellent shape, and the swelling in the ring finger is really down - I can now grab objects with it, as well as bend it, and the numbness is now almost completely gone. As a result, I am now getting caught up with things, like my writing and miniatures work, and I am almost back up to my usual speeds at both. I'm very pleased, If I may say so; having gotten the fingers crushed was both annoying and painful!

It does not help, of course, that I am both dyslexic and ambidextrous. It simply makes things funnier, like when the doctors would come in when I was in the hospital to ask me which hand they were holding up. I'd say "That one", they'd get all worried, and The Missus would have to explain that I don't really have a 'left' and 'right'. "Try 'port' and 'starboard'," she suggested, "he understands those..."

**********

My little series of essays on how I run my Braunstein games is moving along nicely, if I say so myself. Lots of very good questions from all of you, and I am really enjoying trying to give answers to them for you.

It's an arcane art form, admittedly, but I enjoy it - it's a fun way to game!

**********

Howard Fielding, he of The Tekumel Project, has announced that the Legion of the Sapphire Kirtle is off at the casters and will be available later this fall. Please - use the link in the left-hand column and take a look! Thanks!

**********

Speaking of Howard, I have gotten the Lorun 'Sacrifice' group all painted up - I'd better get you some photos, eh?

**********

Brett Slocum is looking for event submissions for a Tekumel gaming track at the Twin Cities' game convention, Con of the North, which is held here every spring. You can find his announcement on Google+, this morning.

**********

You know, I think that's all the news. Back to Braunstein, then...

2 comments:

  1. I am traveling, so a bit behind on all things internet. My Daughter has elected to have us help her move to Oregon..

    Again, best wishes to the Lovely and Talented, and a bit of good will to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll pass along your kind words to Herself.

    I sent you a reply, too!

    - chirine

    ReplyDelete