Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, August 24th, 2014 - Mayhem On The Table, And Life Goes On...

"Hey! Those guys have bows!"
As seems to be the norm, these days, the update about The Missus' health leads today's update. She's doing well, healing nicely, and goes in this coming Thursday to get the results from the surgery. After that, it's radiation time; she'll get a week of it to start with, and we'll go from there. She'd like to thank everyone who's written, e-mailed, commented, or dropped by to let her know that they are thinking of her - she really appreciates it! And, everyone, so do I!

**********

We played the final game in the current 'micro-campaign' cycle yesterday, and it was a fun romp in the jungle. We play-tested the informal modifications to my usual rules that I had come up with for my Barsoomian adventurers, and a good time was had by all. Except, that is, for John Carter, who got nailed with an arrow by one of Lady Djel's guards and had to be carried off by the incomparable Dejah Thoris for some first aid.

We laughed ourselves silly, we did.

**********

Due my football schedule in September, we're going to have a 'movie day' on the second Saturday of the month; on the marquee are "Thief of Baghdad" - 1927 (with Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.) and "Thief of Baghdad - 1936 (with the lovely June Duprez as Princess Ma'in Krythai hi Tlakotani). Both movies are ones that Phil said he saw when he was a kid, and had a lot of fun with. Both are a treat to watch, and are the sort of thing that any player-character (or GM) can use for inspiration.

**********

We'll be starting another 'micro-campaign' cycle in late September, and I am taking suggestions. These will be my usual Braunstein-style games, role-playing and miniatures all mixed up in a blender; these seem to be popular with folks.

It was mooted yesterday that we might want to visit the mysterious Pyramids of Mars, to ferret out the mysteries therein, and I'm kinda big on this. Anyone fancy a trip to Barsoom?

**********

I also want to take a moment to thank everyone who's commented or e-mailed me about what I do around here; thank you, all of you, and I really appreciate your interest and your kind words!

Please do fee free to ask me about stuff - it's what I'm here for!



12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, and I'm glad your wife is doing well.

    Since you opened the floor to questions, I'll ask something:

    Do you ever do any spaceship gaming, with or without miniatures? In addition to boardgames like Starfire and Starfleet Battles, there were several lines of minis that came out in the 1970s, including Stardate: 3000 and Starfleet Wars.

    I'm into that type of gaming myself, especially the old Starfleet Wars line, using those rules and more modern rulesets like Full Thrust and Galactic Knights. Did you every play something like this back in the day, or more recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll let herself know.

      Re your question, I'll do a longer post on this; the short answer is yes, very much yes, and we had a great time. The answer deserves a longer reply, though! :)

      - chirine

      Delete
  2. Barsoom sounds like it would make a blast of a campaign (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never did get any Barsoom gaming in, myself. Always wanted to.

    Best wishes to the Missus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's see what we can do, eh?

      And thank you for the kind words, too!

      - chirine

      Delete
  4. Great to hear your wife is doing well. Can't wait to hear (when you have a spare moment) more about your Barsoom adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to keep everyone informed - and there will be photos, too!

      - chirine

      Delete
  5. I too am glad to hear your wife is doing well, and treatment is going ahead as planned. My pryers will be with you both for the days to come.

    The 1927 Thief of Baghdad is one of my favorite movies as well. The valley of fire sequence in particular is awesome. Something about fire in black and white makes it look more frightening. Barsoom games sound fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll pass your kind words along to her!

      It is indeed a very cool movie, and I'm looking forward to introducing it and the later one to my players. I think they'll agree with you!

      And I'm looking forward to visiting the fabled twin towers of Helium, too!

      - chirine

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear of Missus' health. Could I send something to her? Can you email me address at sherhout@yahoo.com? Love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete