Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Weekly Update For Sunday, September 14th, 2014 - Lots and Lots and Lots of News!!!

The Saturday Matinee;
The Game Room and Game Lounge in full cry.

The newest addition to the Missuma River Yacht Club;
Just built, prior to staining the hull.

'Temperate' tile on the left; 'Arid' tile on the right.
I think I need to put more green on the 'Temperate' tiles.
Today's update is going to be short, concise, and brief; I worked the football game this morning, from five to one this afternoon, and I'll be working again tonight from ten to six tomorrow. I am, as you might expect, heading off for my Sunday afternoon nap in short order. In the meantime, here's a whole lot of news for you to ponder:

***

Once again, thank you all for your kind words for The Missus; she really appreciates your concern and good wishes. I will be back with replies to all of you tomorrow, too!

***

Mike Burns, of Dark Fable Miniatures, will be having another Indiegogo campaign for a new series of Ancient Egyptian 'civilian' miniatures. We have supported the previous three campaigns, and the figures are simply wonderful! These are all of the 'court types' one sees in 'sword and sandal' epics, and are really useful for games set in Tekumel's palaces and clan-houses. For the full story, please visit:


***

We've heard that the industrious Jeff Dee has sent out the 'pre-approval' edition of his new RPG, "Bethorm", and we'd love to hear from anyone who has a copy. Jeff does good work, and I have confidence in him. Check out his web page at the Uni Games link in the left-hand column, please!

***

Yesterday's Saturday Matinee Double Feature - "Thief of Bagdad" - 1924, and "Thief of Bagdad" - 1940; these are the correct release dates, by the way - has had to be postponed until Saturday, September 27th, due to an injury to one of our regulars. He's doing well, I am told, but we thought we'd be polite and wait until he can climb stairs again...

***

The Missuma River Yacht Club has a new ship on the ways. This is one of the "Creatology" wooden kits that are sold as puzzles for six year olds, and it makes up into a very nice ship for games. A six year old will have no trouble building it; I took a little longer...

These kits / puzzles go for about five to six dollars retail, and you can't beat that for a boat that's a good foot long and four inches wide. I'll stain the hull with a nice dark walnut, and she'll soon be sailing about the seas of Tekumel...

***

So, I was packing the new 'Barsoom' terrain tiles away in their plastic storage tubes, when it occurred to me that I really should compare the old and well-used 'Temperate' and 'Arid' tiles to each other. I've never used the two sets side by side, and I used to use them about one each once per year. That's all changed with the new game table, and I thought I might want to have a look at them to see what I should do to refurbish them.

Ahem. have a look at the photo, above. I have a sneaking suspicion that I need to get out the green tempera paint and give the supposedly 'wetter' tiles a shot of greenery. Comments? Thoughts?

***

In the larger world of the game industry, the four-handed lawsuit between Warner Brothers / Sweetpea Entertainment and Universal Pictures / Hasbro / Wizards of the Coast is apparently going to trial this week. I am not even going to try to summarize this one; it's been a year of legal motions and court decision since I last reported on this, so I'd suggest going right to the source:


***

Thats all for now; more later this week, after I get some sleep...


5 comments:

  1. I've been reading Bethorm, and I really like it. The first one-volume, complete Tekumel game since EPT. Contains all the spells from Swords and Glory, plus all the beasts from the Tekumel Bestiary, with drawings of every critter. 260 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, the system is pretty simple, about the complexity of GURPS Lite, the 32-page distillation of GURPS.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the report! I am very pleased that Jeff is forging ahead on this project, and that he's done so much artwork - I think Tekumel always needs more of this kind of thing.

      The distillation of the 'basics' from EPT and the spells from S&G is the way Phil played, over the years we had with him, so I have a feeling that this set of rules is probably going to be the closest way to get the 'feel' of games with Phil.

      Any idea if and when it will be available in retail?

      - chirine

      Delete
  2. I would go easy on the green for the 'temperate' tiles as a little would go a long ways.

    The ship is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Thanks for the second set of eyes! I was worried that the two sets of tiles might be too close together in color and hue; I really should keep in mind that these are 'background' to the tree / vegetation 'flats' that go on top of them. 'Arid', 'scrubland', and 'desert' all go together, while 'temperate' usually gets used with 'jungle' and 'forest'. (I also have a 'conifer' set in the works (for Yan Kor) and the new 'swamp' tiles for the Hlutrgu.) The new 'Barsoom' set of tiles uses the 'scrubland' vegetation, for that "dying world" look...

      The ship kits are really nice! They build up very nicely and quickly - keep a thin file handy for opening up slots, though - and are very inexpensive. They build up into a very good size for table top games; big enough to feel like ships, but small enough to be handy on the game table.

      This 'master junk' is actually larger in scale then the replica "Nina" and "Pinta" we visited last year (see also the post for Sunday, June 29th, 2013) and really does look pretty good. I may change out the flat yards for round ones cut from bamboo barbeque skewers, but that's a personal thing on my part. More photos of the fleet to come!!!

      Thanks again!

      - chirine

      Delete