Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Yearly Update For Saturday, December 6th, 2014 - Doing Business In The Same Location For Fifty-Eight Years

Ghatoni. Lots and lots of Ghatoni!
(and some Exalted Flame, too!)

Blocks. Lots and lots of blocks!

Well, here we are once again; I am now another year older. And, I am happy to be able to report, I am celebrating twenty-seven months of being still alive - as you might guess, this is A Big Deal around here. If you wouldn't mind, this post will be a bit of a short recap of the doings here at The Workbench over the past year. First off, though, let's look at the festivities going on hereabouts...

The Missus, bless her, took me out to eat at our favorite cafeteria - the eatery at the local IKEA, better known as the purveyor of the odd and unusual here on this blog. I had been hoping to get a plate of my favorite fish-and-chips - an addiction I picked up from my fellow railway modelers in the Wakefield Railway Modelling Society; we get ours from The Union pub across from where we have our Annual Exhibition - but alas!!! IKEA has discontinued this staple of my diet and so I consoled my wretched self with a platter of chicken strips and chips. (The Missus had her own favorite, the meatballs.) The massive chocolate cake topped off the feast, and I am delighted to report that it was a very nice way to celebrate my birthday.

The Missus also got me a gift there, too! It's the pack of 'FUNDERA' wooden blocks, which I waxed so delighted over when I saw them that The Missus thought that it would be cruel not to get me a pack. You get, for your $9.95, 100 hardwood blocks that measure about 20 mm by 200 mm, and about 5mm thick. Bridges, passageways, buildings, you name it - these blocks will do it. I can think of all sorts of uses for these in the game room, and it may tell you something about my games and my play style that a pack of simple wooden blocks would send me into transports of delight.

We also got my grandson his very first tool kit, and he's just arrived to pick the thing up...

[A short delay, if you don't mind...]

[Thank you for your patience; The Grandson has departed for his nap, and is Pleased with his IKEA tool kit.]

The postman has also added to the wonder of the day; there was a package from Mr. Allen in the mail, and he has been kind enough to send me forty (!) infantry, a dozen (!) archers, and two (!) sets of command stands for the Ghatoni - and four Serdula, two armored and two un-armored. I will try to shoot better photos of all of these treasures, although you may be able to see some of his own photos of his creations on the Tekumel miniatures Yahoo group. To add to my delight, there are also ten of the Legion of Exalted Flame - I've been looking for these for positively ages, to try and fill out my version of this legion. All my usual sources for the old metal figures have pretty much dried up after all these years, so these are very welcome additions to the ranks.

I really love David Allen's work - he's a master of the three-dimensional printer, and his ability to model Tekumel is really uncanny!

Like any year in my life, it's been a mixed bag of the good and the bad. Bad, in the sense of The Missus and her health issues, but good in the sense that she's doing very well. Her prognosis is good, her doctors tell me, and if we're careful she;s going to be good for quite a few years yet. The same for me; if I keep my blood pressure down, mostly by avoiding stress, I should be around for a bit as well.

Gaming has been a mixed bag as well; the long football season this year has been a bit of a trial, as it takes away a lot of the weekend time that I have, but we're now through the season and I'm back to a regular schedule for the next six months. I am concentrating on getting the unpainted painted, the useful projects finished, and the less-then-useful projects terminated and the wreckage out the door. I am being a lot more focused, due to my time and energy constraints, and I think that's going to be very helpful in the coming months.

A nice result of all this time-management is that I'm writing again, and "To Serve The Petal Throne" is moving forward very nicely. I am expecting and hoping to get the bulk of the book done during my upcoming vacation, and off to my editors in the very early part of the year. Once that's done, I can get back to working on the second edition of my miniatures rules - a project which has had to stay on the back-burner for far too long!

So, all in all, I can say that I've been mostly pleased with the year that was; here's to the year to come!!!





8 comments: