Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Weekly Update For Sunday, January 11th, 2015 - Some Major Milestones Achieved!!!




The past week has been very, very busy, and I have some very big news to report:

First off, I want to thank all of you who e-mailed about the upcoming campaign! I will have the initial campaign information done for all of you this week, and you should see it in your e-mail 'in boxes' by Friday. I will also be repeating the information here, with wit a new tag - 'campaign' - to make it as easy as possible to keep everyone informed.

Secondly, I am very pleased to be able to say that all three of the current set of adopted daughters are here for a visit; they gathered for their grandpa's memorial, to be held February 5th, and will be stayig with us for a bit. Quite the gathering, and it's keeping us hopping!

Thirdly, The Missus and I are very happy to be able to announce that she's completed the digitizing of all of our and Prof. Barker's archives. The first thirty gigabytes are being uploaded to Amazon's Web Storage facility, and the second thirty will follow about the end of this month. It's been a huge project; we have some thirty years of our own collections, as well as some sixty years of Prof. Barker's files, and getting all of this material into a digital format and then onto several different storage media has been quite the job. The Missus was able to read all of the Professor's computer drives and his collection of floppy and zip discs - she really is good at this! - and added all of the materials that I've produced and collected over the years to the archived material.

This is just the first half of the effort; we still have the some 4,000 photographs we took to document everything over the years, including all of the photos we made as part of our inventory of Prof. Barker's collection. I also take lots of photos of our game sessions, and these will also be added to the on-line archives.

I cannot even begin to tell everyone just how pleased I am with all of this! Back in 1976, when I first started working for the Professor, my 'lifetime goal' was to be able to be his archivist and to document his amazing creation - and the creative process that went into the making of his world. I have finally done this, and I am very, very happy about it; I promised Phil, before he passed away some three years ago, that I would get this done for him, and we're finally looking at the completion of this project.

Fourthly, I am continuing to steam ahead on my book about gaming - and life! - with Phil and Ambereen, and I should have it all done by this spring.

Fifth and finally, I will be at gary Con in Lake Geneva at the end of March, 2015. I got the approval notifications on the events I'd submitted at the request of various people, and I'll be there talking about the Professor and Tekumel. I'll also run a game session, using the digital version of the Jakalla Underworld that The Missus has created - I can now project the actual maps onto the table, using my set of tiny LCD projectors! Here's the list of events:

Friday, 2:00 pm - Seminar; answers to your questions about Tekumel
Saturday, 10:00 am - same
Saturday, 2:00 pm - same
Saturday, 7:00 pm - Tekumel RPG session
Sunday, 12:00 noon - Seminar, again

For me, this will be a very easy schedule; I'll basically be propped up in a corner, like a storyteller in the matketplace, and simply sit there and talk about Tekumel. I'll be able to bring all of our digitized archives with me for everyone to look at - you will be able to see literally everything that Prof. Barker did for Tekumel, from his college notebooks onward. I will also bring the memorial slide show about Phil's life and adventures that The Missus dor for his memorial event in 2012, and we'll show that as well for folks.

For more information about Gary Con, heres their website:

4 comments:

  1. That's an impressive selection of milestones reached there. Congratulations on the archiving and delighted to hear you're soldiering on with the book - really looking forward to seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations and thank you for the work you have done to preserve the Tekumel legacy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way to go!

    Also, This will sound incredibly dumb but does that mean that those archives are going to be available to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very busy indeed sir! Glad to hear of all your accomplishments. I hope you enjoy yourself at Garycon.

    ReplyDelete