Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Weekly Update For Sunday, March 1st, 2015 - Pushing Lead With The Guys! WHEE!

Yes. Kashi and Gayel do light up.
Yesterday was one of those days that remind me of why I have been doing this for the past forty years. I had the some of the members of the younger guys' high school D & D group in for a skirmish game; they had never played 'big miniatures' before, and wanted to see what it was like. I put on a 'Braunstien', with everyone out for themselves, and it was hysterical. Like all 'Braunstiens', utter chaos erupted in no time flat; I had to provide colored chits to the players so they could figure out who was allied to who at any given moment - it changed from turn to turn, with predictable results.

(I will put all of the photos from the game up on my Photobucket page; link at the bottom of the left-hand column. EDIT: Photos are now up!)

I had a wonderful time! The idea was to get the new players used to the tactical game mechanics in order for them to play in the up-coming campaign, as the 'home team' for all of you to command as your eyes and ears on the table. They had a great time, I had a great time, and it was in the classic style of Twin Cities gaming from the 1970s.

I am also, if I may modestly cackle a bit, very pleased with the way that the new game table and modular scenery all worked out to make this game happened. I had an appointment with a guest at eleven, which ran long - not an issue! - and so I didn't start setting the table until twelve-thirty. The normal schedule for game days is for the doors to be open at noon, and the game to start at one, so I was a bit behind.

I simply pulled boxes D, W4, and W5 from the shelves,  and I was literally set up and ready to play at twelve thirty-five. I am very, very pleased; it took some work to organize everything up, and some investment in plastic tubs, but it all works - and in actual use, too!!!

I can now be set and ready on fifteen minute's warning, which is my 'convention standard' for doing games at shows. I am not likely to be doing many of those, due to health and logistics issues, but at least I now have the proven capability to do them as needed.

Hurrah!


11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very happy with the results, and the guys had a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Excellent. All the prep work was worth it. Sounds like you had fun - which is the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a bit of work, but I think it's paid off... :)

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you chortling in your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you chortling in your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the photos; that was a nice-looking setup. I notice that you had a Reaper minis purple worm (or whatever it's called) on the table. Was that scenery, or some sort of entity in the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the players was saying that he suspected that I was hiding something nasty behind the isolated pile of rocks. So, I had him roll d100; he got an 01, and got a nice big worm sticking it's head out of a hole. The worm became a hazard for the rest of the game, and everyone gave it a very wide berth. The player also got 'thanked' by his fellow players, too... :)

      Delete
  6. That's the kind of game I want to run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't mind sharing, what rule set did you use?

    ReplyDelete