Monday, January 25, 2016

The Weekly Update - Monday, January 25, 2016 - My Secret Plans For World Domination

We got some snappy dressers, 'round here.

The past week has been filled with domestic matters, with family and The Missus' health, as well as her dad's knee replacements, dominating affairs here at the little house. Everyone is doing well, I am happy to be able to report, but it did take a lot of time to deal with it all. I also worked a shift this past weekend - the overtime pays for my quarterly medication resupply - and I'll have some more over time this week. Nothing too hot or heavy, though.

It was also a very busy week for me personally, as I gear up for what will become a second job, i. e., my writing. I'm finding that I am rolling more and more quickly on "To Serve The Petal Throne", and I have been reorganizing and remodeling to make this all a lot more efficient. My 'home office' has been the primary focus of this process, with it now being my primary working area. The Workbench itself is still there, of course, and I'm resorting to it regularly for both building and painting - it's a hobby, not a job.

With the removal of the 'mission objective' to support displays and programming at conventions like Gary Con and Con of the North, there's also a lot more room / space available for us to use as we need here; we've been living in what amounts to a warehouse of other people's dreams, and that's now ending. It's meant hauling a lot of now-redundant stuff out to the trash and recycle bins, but then (on the other hand) a lot of this stuff has been sitting waiting for people to make up their minds; in some cases, for over a decade. I've made a lot of calls and sent quite a few e-mails, and no response is no response;  I'm salvaging what I can, to use in my projects, but a lot of this stuff is redundant.

This also applies to my time, as well. I can now take a lot more time and energy and out them o what I think is good use, getting things done here and not having to worry about other people's issues. Over the decades, there have been some people who have made a career out of projecting their own fears, insecurities, hopes, dreams, and wishful thinking onto me. It's always struck me as kind of odd that when I say - as I have for decades - that all I ever wanted to do with Tekumel was be Phil's archivist and make cool little models that I have gotten the reaction "No! No! Tell me what you are really up to!!! What's your Secret Plan for world domination???"

Nope, sorry; haven't got one. I meant what I said, over all these years, and that's what I'm finally able to to; if you need to dream that I am out to get you, and you need to pump my friends when you see them for information, you might want to think about what one of them said a while back: "You could just read his blog; he's been pretty up-front about it."

Now, if you have questions about how we gamed back in the day, or something about model building, then please feel free to ask; I'm always willing to help. I can manage this, and still keep my blood pressure down and have fun. I'm not much interested in anything a lot more taxing then this, due to my health, though.

So, I'm here. And the book is rapidly getting written, too!

6 comments:

  1. Very glad to hear that progress on the book is coming easily. I finished a Star Trek story for Simon & Schuster, wish me luck! I hope the Missus' health is OK. Keep on gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad to hear that progress on the book is coming easily. I finished a Star Trek story for Simon & Schuster, wish me luck! I hope the Missus' health is OK. Keep on gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need bigger headdresses for REAL domination.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're going to be tossing game materials, and those people don't want to claim it, I am always a welcome home for wayward terrain and minis... just sayin'... :D ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you looking for? I have about 100 - 150 Reaper figures I've got going surplus, amongst other things...

      Delete
    2. Well, if they are pre-growth-spurt[1] 25mm, or monsters, I'm always open to building armies. Maybe I should come up some time and see! :)

      [1] I'm getting stubborn (ie., cheap) in my old age and just don't want to upgrade all my small Grenadier/Ral Partha figures to the larger "heroic" 25mm which seems to be closer to 28mm/30mm size. That's why I'm thrilled Iron Wind is doing the Ral Partha reprints as true 25mm. Although Iron Wind has seriously inflated the Battletech minis... putting the newer ones next to my older RP minis and plastics is like putting 1/72 next to the 28s... *sigh*

      Delete