Saturday, March 5, 2016

On The Art Of Gracious Living In Jakalla...

Phil's idea of what 'real furniture' should look like.
Folds up for travel, too.

I have two of these, in different sizes; 'bedside' tables -
mat-side, really - when staying somewhere.

Folds up for travel! Phil had two of these in the living room,
and used them as 'models' for drawings.

The classic chest; got two of these when Target closed
their 'World Market' department. Very Tekumelyani!

One of these was one of the very first Tekumel 'artifacts'
I got, back in 1976; I have two now.

Baron Greystone's comment about furniture in Jakalla really got me to thinking. Back in 1976, when I first met Phil, we got to talking about personal belongings and furniture. So when I happened to be in one of the "Arts of India" gift stores here in Minneapolis, I picked up some of the accessories that I thought that I would have been carrying around on our adventures. Having scribal skills, I got a very handy wooden pen case that unfolded to reveal sliding drawers for a cake of ink and reed pens, a book rest, and a little folding table that was just right to have a lamp next to my sleeping mat at night.

Phil had a house fill of stuff like this, from all over South Asia that he'd collected on his travels, and over the years we managed to find very similar items to complete my set of 'Chirine baggage'. we even found a pair of very nice chests to store the bulk of it in, so I could simply pack everything up and load it onto the Cheln-cart or Captain Harchar's ship for our next adventure. It went with the costumes we were building at the time, and being exposed to Dave Arneson and his ACW re-creation buddies in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry was a huge influence on us. We had a lot of fun finding and making everything, and we'd use it all in games as 'props' for the sheer fun of it.

My kids even got me an astrolabe, so I could work out where we were now...

Furniture in Jakalla is, as we mentioned in the previous post, pretty basic. Lots of mats and rugs, some chests for storage, and a little table or two for lamps and such. A sleeping room would have lots of mats and rugs, and maybe a carpet if the resident was wealthy enough; small tables for lamps, and maybe a wardobe / chest for clothes. Wealthier people would have a 'sitting room', usually next to the 'bedroom', where there would be shelves, chests, more small tables, and lots of mats and cushions for people to use. Really high-class folks would have low risers, about a hand-span high, to get them up off the floor; these would have more rugs, carpets, and mats on them. This is all 'domestic' furniture, of course; temples and offices have different suites of furniture.

Over the years, we picked up a lot of this kind of thing, so that I can now outfit a pretty luxurious and very posh 'high-status' room; it's been find having a sort of 'scavenger hunt', looking for things Phil would approve of. We had a great 'find', from Target of all places, when they tired to have a "World Market" department; this had a lot of great items from India, as well as some really unusual 'Tiki' style stuff that fit right in. Lanterns, too, of all kinds. IKEA also occasionally has items like this - we got a nice set of dishes, perfect for back-packs - and if you look in the odder corners of the store there are lots of other goodies that I'd like to have had on our adventures. All great fun, and adds to that 'Tekumel look' in the game room... :)

2 comments:

  1. The 1970s were a great period for picking up stuff from India. I have table #2 and a table with sides like #3 but a top like #1. The octagonal table is much sturdier than the one with the triangular base - which is a bit tippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem with my pair of little tables with the three-legged fold up triangles. I always try to put thing in the center of the tops, and not set anything really valuable on them. The big tables are much more sturdy... :)

      Delete