Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Weekly Update - Sunday, May 1st, 2016 - A Weekend Off...

Next time you stir your coffee...
Boats from Burl's friend; Princess Vrisa afloat, again

Life, if I may say so, is good. My foot is in good shape and not being a pest, and I'm having fun this weekend sorting out the scale lumberyard in the workshop. And getting some writing done, too...

I am, as I may have mentioned once or twice in this blog, a model builder. I really enjoy building what we run across in our adventures, and have done so since the middling 1970s. It helps that a lot of the skills and tools that I've developed over the years for my railway modeling (Great Western Railway, in OO) are directly transferrable to my gaming.

A while back, I mentioned that I'd gotten half a dozen very nice boats from a guy who does laser-cutting, and who sells his stuff through Burl Zorn at The Source; see the photo, if you would.

I saw these, and instantly thought 'bridge of boats', or a pontoon bridge if you prefer. I also instantly thought of my stocks of scale lumber, and planking. My preferred planks are those wooden sticks you get to stir your coffee; they are nicely cut, made out of hardwood, and are available from suppliers like Litin Paper here in the Twin Cities in boxes of 1,000 for less then $5.00. I use a lot of these, so buying in bulk makes sense.

The crossbeams and other structural timbers will 'come out of inventory' since I have a band saw with a cutting fence, I can make timbers in any size that I need, and I have a huge pile of such timbers that I've already made. I am one of those people who love to sit in front of the saw, slicing large bits of wood into much small bits.

(These will even be in the new edition of my miniatures rules, as I've had to throw a bridge or two over rivers in my day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment