Monday, July 18, 2016

The Weekly Update - Monday, July 18th, 2016 - Of Wooden (Laser-cut) Ships and Iron (Portcullis) Men

More from TRE Games!

Lots of news, this week, and if it's all right, we'll dive right in!

 I've now had my first week in the new job, and I can say that I am really enjoying it. Yes, I do come home tired, but it's a good tired. My health is markedly improving, I'm getting more sleep, and I think I've made a good move. I am, as they say, a happy camper.

I was at the Minnesota Miniature Gamers Association' quarterly meeting - Recon - and played in a game of "Close Action!" rum by Mr. T. Arndt. It was great!!! Three of us old hands from the Conflict Simulation Association and three 'younger' players, amongst five ships - one player arrived late, so I offered him my ship, and I took on the role of the Spanish Commodore. It was 1777, and we were trying to get away from the Portugese squadron off Uruguay. We were bigger, and thus slower, but we had a lot more guns. The net result was that both squadrons got battered about pretty well, and lots and lots of reports had to be sent to Lisbon and Madrid.

It was a wonderful game, and reminded me of the nights at Coffman Union, all those years ago. A truly wonderful day!!!

TRE Games has come out with a pair of new products - a larger portcullis, and a set of three triremes, all in their laser-cut wood. I have the smaller versions of the working portcullis, and it's one of those little detail items that really makes an underworld adventure special. This larger one would be founf in more important areas, and it'll work just fine. I am very happy to have these!!!


The trireme kits gets you three ships for $8.00, and is - in my opinion - very good value for money. Each ship is built up in layers, and has alternate oars; you also get several sets of parts for the masts, so as to have spares, and there's a sheet of a dozen different sets of sails. These are very elegant little kits, and I'll say a lot more about them when I start talking about my little fleet of model ship...

More to come! :)

11 comments:

  1. Ohhh... Triremes. I think you just had an effect on my campaign...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty little ships, and look very good just as they are - the wood grain and etched details are really good.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are, but you just inspired me to realize how the Sea Elves move so quickly on the surface.

      Delete
  2. ... and they're not on the website yet. :( Or they are not 28mm compatible. (kicks dirt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Ogre Gate' is #28H025, and the ships are simply 'Trireme'. I am not sure where they are in the TRE Games site; do you want me to simply drop by The Source and get you a pack?

      Delete
    2. Thank you, but I reached out to them on Facebook. They don't have a 25/28mm compatible model yet, but perhaps in a couple of months.

      My Ral Partha Sea Elves require a ship!

      Delete
    3. Well, let me know what you need.

      A 25 / 28mm version!?! I may have the vapors over that. I'll certainly have to get one; Tim makes great kits!

      Delete
    4. Your pictures show that for sure. This is what he said on Facebook:

      TRE Games, Inc. Hi Michael, I am actually working on a 15mm and a 28mm version. I'll post something when close, probably late August. Thanks or the interest I love triremes myself, I think you will like the models I've got cooking.
      Like · Reply · July 19 at 3:10pm

      Delete
    5. Oh, wow. I can see where my Christmas money is going to go... :)

      Delete
  3. "lots and lots of reports had to be sent to Lisbon and Madrid." 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We managed to get all of our ships pounded into barely floating wrecks, which meant that there was going to have to be some explaining to do to the governments back home.

      Usually, out on colonial stations, opposing fleets tried to not take too much damage as the repair process was a lot harder. Good shipyards were hard to find outside of the Spanish main, so captains would sometimes make only a token defence - the Manila Galleon often did this - when confronted by trouble. We, being professionals, stuck to it and wound up manning the pumps.

      There will have to be some explaining to do... :)

      Delete