Monday, July 4, 2016

The Weekly Update - Sunday, July 3rd, 2016 - News, Mentions, and Miniatures

Roof tiles. I'm into roof tiles.
We're well into the holiday weekend, here at The Workbench, and I have been pretty busy. I had my last full night at my old job on Friday; I'll be in again on July 8th to finish up all the little details, but by dint of hard work and effort everything is pretty much done. As a result, I'm on the tired side, but I'll use tomorrow's holiday to talk about old paint lines and modern equivalents. I am now also embarking on three day's vacation, so I will be able to overcome (hopefully!) the 'jet lag' from moving to my new schedule.

***

I was able to get two sets of the working portcullis sets (three per set, for a total of six) from TRE Games at The Source today, and they assemble in no time flat. They are basically a box with the portcullis in the middle, and one does have to be very careful not to get any glue into the grooves that the portcullis slides up and down in. I put the glue on from the outside, after assembling the parts dry, using the glue as a kind of 'mortar' to fill in the clearances between the parts. It all worked fine; I am very pleased with these kits.

***

I also got a look at the TRE Games 'Pteradon' skyship kit, and I am very sorely tempted! The thing comes in what feels like a pound or two of flat stock, and the final product looks to be over two feet long and a good foot and a half wide. It is a whole lot more impressive in the actual package then you might think, and I am already thinking up paint schemes.

***

Another chore / task done today was going through the piles of old miniatures I've been dreading sorting for a while; today, I just buckled down and got to it. Like anybody who's been doing miniatures for any length of time, I have a lot of figures that I bought 'on spec' and then never got painted up. So, they are now all sorted, and I'll be putting pictures up for everyone to look at; I am hoping that they'll find new homes, and be part of somebody's games!

2 comments:

  1. Having just taken down a roof full of tiles, I don't share your enthusiasm for roof tiles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about shingles; I'm having to fix the garage roof, this week... :)

    ReplyDelete