Saturday, October 8, 2016

Catching Up - Something Cool For Mobile Gaming...

The great outdoors...



The great indoors...



Three-dimensional buildings...



... that have gameable interiors.



As regular readers of this little effort know, every now and then I mention something that I think is pretty cool, and worthy of your attention. And, I make no bones about it, I am a guy who likes models and miniatures. (There's an RPG title, in there...) Last week, a Kickstarter got going for a project that I think people may very well find useful; I was so busy with the Dave Arneson Day, I didn't get the chance to mention it. So, a little late, here is the link they sent me:


I will quite freely admit that one of the big drawbacks of the kind of gaming that I do is the sheer volume of storage space and logistics transport that is needed for me to get out on the road for events not happening here at the Workbench. What these gents have done is taken advantage of modern technology to come up with an answer to that problem; like a theater doing a road show, they are offering portable scenery for games that works like stage sets.

There are the usual tiles and modular floors, but that's the beginning; they've come up with a method of securing parts in three dimensions. You can have playable floors, and playable tree-tops - that great scene where Robin Hood's merry band drops out of the trees on the Sheriff and his thugs is now doable - and in a format that will go back into the briefcase at the end of the game.

It's like IKEA for miniatures, and I like it. Have a look at their site, and the video that they've got posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment