Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Weekly Update - Sunday, October 8th (2) - Getting Things Together








This is kind of a post-script to the one I just published, and is much more of a personal note then what usually gets published on this little effort.

As I've mentioned, Fifth Daughter will be moving in with us in January, and yesterday her elder sister (Third Daughter) and her husband (Second Son) came over and we spent a pleasant and productive afternoon clearing the place to move some furniture around to make some room for the new arrival. One ancient couch went out the door, one newer one got moved, and a family heirloom one arrived from the back of the van. Many. many boxes were filled, and several carpets cleaned. They'll be back today, to clear the actual room Fifth Daughter will occupy, and then we'll fall to the Sorting Of The Stuff in all the tubs and boxes.

If it sounds like our little house (2100 square feet, as I recall) sounds like it's much more of a warehouse then a home, that's because it is. For literally decades, The Missus and I have worked very hard to make other people's dreams come true. The left-overs from all those dreams have usually been abandoned when people lose interest in the dream-of-the-moment and move on to something else, and these left-overs usually get abandoned here with us. This is because we've always been Those People, the ones who sit in the back in the meeting and listed to all the ideas being floated and then are the ones who volunteer to help out. I got my very first award, while in the SCA in the 1970s, for "always helping out when needed". (I have a wall full of such awards, collected over the next forty years from a variety of people and organizations.)

The net result is that I have a house and garage full of stuff that I made or got for people, and which after a few years they left behind. (Need the interior to a Klingon D-7 for your cable access television show? I'm your man.) Starting yesterday, The Missus and I beganclearing all this stuff out, tossing the useless stuff, recycling the recycle stuff, and repacking and labeling the useful stuff. We are, in effect, starting our lives together all over again; we've been married since 1990, and we had to hit the ground running to satisfy the people we helped. Now, we're living for ourselves and our friends - we're making our dreams happen, after a life of making other people's dreams happen. We're taking control of our lives, after all this time; we think we've earned it.

You won't see a lot of changes here at the Workbench, stemming from all this; this blog has always been a way for me to tell folks about what we're doing, and how we do it. That will not change; what will change is the number and diversity of the projects you see, and how they relate to my gaming. In a lot of ways, this is your blog as much as it is mine - your questions and comments fuel it, and help keep it going.

Drop me a line; we'll be here! :)

5 comments:

  1. Unless I've missed something blindly obvious, I think we need to know the story of the "interior to a Klingon D-7" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back about twenty years ago, some friends who were in a Klingon fan group wanted to make a television show about their adventures. Being somewhat skilled with my hands, I built them a fully portable and modular set for the interiors of their ship, based on the original series Klingon interiors. (I also had all of the set plans from the original series, too.) It all fit into a full-size Ford van, which I had at that time, so they could get it to and from the studio where they were shooting the show.

      A couple of years later, they had lost interest in the project, and the set is still sitting in my garage. Eventually, I'll get around to scrapping it all, recycling what I can and disposing of the rest.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing that. Have you considered offering the set to any number of groups making Star Trek fan films these days (on the condition they come and collect it, of course!)?

      Delete
    3. Re: the D7 interior... yea, you could make some money off of the Axanar folks or other fan films - or to someone who wants to have the coolest basement possible. (And don't think I am not considering it myself...)

      Delete
    4. I agree with both of you, but practical sets and effects are out of fashion - film miniatures work is dying as well. It's all digital / CGI these days, and the old skills of theater and film are being forgotten as the skilled craftspeople are retiring or passing away. You could not make "Young Frankenstein" today; all that stuff would have been tossed in the trash years ago. They thought themselves very, very lucky that Ken Strickfadden had it all in his garage...

      Sigh. I feel really, really old some days...

      Delete