Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Weekly Update - Sunday, November 6th, 2016 - Post #400, Would You Believe It?

Sample of a page design

Well, well, well, here we are at post #400. As I have mentioned, this is the second edition of this little effort; the old Workbench blog was taken down during the legal troubles we had with some 'friends' some years back, and this has been the revived version that we put back up some months later.

A lot of things have changed, over those 400 posts; The game group that I started for some friends back in 2002 died in 2015 due to some pretty nasty politics, and some very insensitive and inappropriate actions on the part of several people. As an old friend has been heard to remark, "No gaming is better then bad gaming!" So, we've had no gaming here at the Workbench since December of last year; there may be some coming up, but nothing like on the scale or intensity that we used to have. I am letting the gamers organize up what they want, and just being available on Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sunday afternoons for people. You want to game you organize it.

All of my archives are in digital format, so I'll be culling the paper archives and disposing of the surplus copies; no sense filling the shelves with paper that I rarely look at, I think. I'll keep one pristine copy of everything fort the future, of course.

My painting is picking back up, after a long 'dry spell'. Lots of great figures out there, and I paint what I like for the games that I want to run. Photos and posts as I get things done.

The game room and lounge have been substantially rebuilt. Now that the living room is once again able to be used for guests, we're moving the 'movie nights' upstairs and keeping the big 40" screen in the basement for gaming use - with a selection of my favorite flicks, just because.

Guests are still welcome, but we will admit that we've become very careful about who we let in the house. We've had some really bad experiences over the past few years, so we're being a lot more restrictive. It does cut down on losses, breakage, and legal bills, so from our standpoint it's been a great success.

My book continues to chug along; I hope to have it done by this coming spring. We'll see.

This blog continues, as a way to let everyone know what we're doing; it's your blog as much as it is mine, so please feel free to let me know what you'd like to see - and we'll be on for another 400 posts!

- Chirine



8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 400 posts (and like you said: here's to 400 more). Still really looking forward to the completion of your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The book is going very well; I'm really picking up the pace, and it seems to be flowing along quite nicely.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear that everything is proceeding apace. I for one look forward to the updates on this blog, and hope they continue for sometime to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, thank you! I am finally getting back into some really serious painting and model-building, which seems to feed my writing - the latter feeds the models, so it works both ways. Photos to come! :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the milestone post! I hope you get to host some gaming soon. If you ever make it down to the Austin area, you're welcome to join in a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to; the Missus' health issues kind of rule out travel, which she's pretty unhappy with. I do have hopes, though... :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 400!

    so I'll bite, what would I like to see? Obviously more and more of your Tekumel, it's my thing, but I bet your Lord Meren scenarios are fun, imaginative, and visually lovely. Any chance we might see those Egyptian figures facing off on a tabletop?

    All the best,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll see a lot more Tekumel - as I write the book, it brings back more memories of our antics in Phil's basement, and I start building things like the Great Black Box.

      Phil got me started in Ancient Egypt, and I've kept that interest all these years. You'll see a lot more of Lord Meren and his world, as I get everybody painted up and all that old Armorcast Egyptian resin finished. The Missus has also been doing her part; there is a whole world of Ancient Egyptian knick-knacks out there that make for superb scenery!

      (And dolls for the kids, too!) :)

      Delete