Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Yearly Update - December 6th, 1956 - Six Decades, Would You Believe It?


You must read this book. Period.

From Forge Of Ice - "A sleazy merchant and his guards"

It is my sixtieth birthday today, and I am delighted to be around to enjoy it - especially after the brain bleed four years ago. I'm a little older, and a little more dyslexic, and I don't do being cold anymore, but that's it. I am very lucky to be alive, and to be here for my family.

The family, for their part, has showered me with felicitations and sundry gifts. You've seen Akho, the new TRE Games trieme model, which came out of The Birthday Fund, and the wonderful "Temple of Set" figures from Dark Fable Miniatures, which also came out of the same source. I have also been very happily surprised by a new book, seen above, which deserves a place on everybody's bookshelf. I started reading it, and simply could not put it down until I finished it.

And the family invested in Alex Bate's new Kickstarter for his 'Forge of Ice' miniatures - he does not have a website, but he is on Facebook - and I am looking forward to getting the archtypical 'sleazy merchant' and his guards. Four of them need more sleep, and two are alert; this, to me, looks like a fun game all set up and ready to go. Alex has some wonderful figures; I have his two "Snake Priestesses", who are in with the Temple of Set crowd, and I can see some interesting times ahead for parties of adventurers.

This time of the year is also more then a little sad for me as well. It was this time last year that an old friend brought his game group over for an evening's tour of the game room and the game lounge, to see all the miniatures, games, artifacts, and costumes we'd built over the decades. It was a very pleasant time, and I was delighted to be able to talk about gaming with Phil and our travels around his world.

That is, it was a lot of fun until my friend's involvement with local LGBTQ politics came up; he announced to his game group - which was supposed to be doing Tekumel gaming - that his old Tekumel player-character had been driven out of Yan Kor (he was Yan Koryani) by, quote, "gay persecution". I was pretty flabbergasted, as this came right out of left field, and his game group - which, it turned out, was made up of LGBTQ people - were equally astounded; they were even more astounded when my friend, after dropping this conversational hand grenade, left and I wound up entertaining his gamers for another couple of very uneasy hours. It was impossible to tell who was more uncomfortable, them or I.

What really, really hurt was that my friend seemed to have forgotten that he was playing in Tekumel before he'd come out as gay, and that his PC had never come out as gay - and that I had been the GM for those games. After his guests had left my house, I went back and looked in my old game journals and listened to the tapes we'd made of those games we'd played back in the late 1980s. Couldn't find anything like he'd described; nothing. It turned out later, I found out from mutual friends, that it was all about enhancing one's position in local LGBTQ circles; politics, in other words.

I'm still hurt by all of this, and haven't been able to run a game session since. I don't know if I ever will, at this point, but we'll have to see. I've had worse happen to me and the Missus over the decades; I have hope, and look forward to the future.


19 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I hope you someday feel like you can return to running games; I like reading about the outcomes of your scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I expect that I will be running games again, sometime in the near future - but on my terms, which is one of the reasons I now have the 'Event Guide'. Home games will depend on people getting up the interest and organization to come over; I'm not going to chase people down anymore, or suffer the complaints that I'm not recruiting the "right kind of people".

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for all your hard work, too! :)

      Delete
  3. May I wish you a very Happy Birthday and hope for many more to come (not least so that we can read much more of you excellent blog !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shall keep trying to amuse and entertain everyone! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday and I hope you feel up to running games again in the future. Don't let the dude keep you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I shall try; he was just one of what seemed like a steady procession of people through the game room that insisted that I had to toe their particular 'party line' on their particular issues. It all got pretty old, and as a result I am a lot more careful about who I choose to associate with.

      Life will go on.

      Delete
    2. That it does. To life, health and family.

      Delete
    3. That it does. To life, health and family.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! Best wishes for the next year and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to be careful, and minimize the stress in my life - it seems to be working! :)

      Delete
  6. Chirine, I have read your contributions to the hobby over the years (I'm a fake grognard and didn't start until '77)
    It would be terrible if this off the cuff remark was the capstone of your game running career. I am sure this man had simply bundled together a lot of memories of oppression and forgotten the details. We all do that, and he doesn't have your journals to remind him.
    Forgive him, or speak to him, but don't let this poison your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very sound advice from Cannae, and as another "pseudo" grognard I second it. Things happen, and people's motivations are often unknown even to themselves. Start running games again, and if you aren't up to hosting it in house, then perhaps do it via Skype or some other similar platform.

      Delete
    2. I agree with both of you. The remark wasn't 'off the cuff', it was a very deliberate statement of political position; this person is engaged in a political fight / feud with another LGBTQ Tekumel fan for 'who gets to be the gay gaming spokesperson', and the both of their politics leaked into my basement. Needless to say, neither is on the Missus' allowed-access list.

      I shall keep going; everyone is welcome, here in our house, provided they leave their feuds and politics at the door.

      All one can do is shrug, and move on. This kind of thing has ruined Twin Cities fandom for literally decades, and I've been opting out for years.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, and Happy New Year!

    Thanks for sharing your ideas and memories.

    I hope you will be able to run a game again. Politics is what it is. We'll never be free from it, you just have to plow on. Sorry it had to take such a bad turn for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you are very welcome!

      I probably shall, but on my terms. If people do't like my 'no politics, no fooling' stance, that's too bad for them; gaming here is a place where friends can get together for some fun and laughter, and not a party meeting.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Chirine!!! I like my gamers "nuttier than fruitcakes", as you put it. Wouldn't have it any other way!
    *NO POLITICS in gaming, period.*
    ✌😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I agree; it used to be all about having fun, and not about Doing Serious Things. We were serious about gaming, but not Serious Gamers.

      Delete