Saturday, January 28, 2017

Fiddler's Recent Comment - A Longer Reply

A Castle in Italy...
I thought that Fiddler’s recent comment deserved a longer reply, so here it is…
One of the things prompting this longer reply is that, over the past decades, nobody from outside my family has ever asked me the question, “What are you really doing?”
People who know me, and the family, already know the answer, so this post is for the people who have been projecting their hopes, their fears, their dreams, and their insecurities onto me for all these years…

            Let it be said that there's nothing wrong with a quiet year / consolidation year. As a matter of fact I did exactly that in 2013, and it proved extremely profitable.

Here are my very specific 2017 "best wishes" for you, Chirine:


1)    to spend some quality time with your daughter;
Exactly. Being a father, and now a grandfather, is the most amazing things I’ve ever done in what has been a long and exciting life. It’s been astonishing, and I’m looking forward to more of this journey.

2)    to add 100K + to your book;
My goal is to finish the book this coming year, and get it into people’s hands for their amusement. This is not going to be a Tekumel version of Jon Peterson’s tremendous book, “Playing at the World”, a new RPG, or anything like that; it’s going to be about a bunch of friends, sitting around a wobbly ping-pong table in a basement room and having a while lot of fun.

3)    to finish the two flyers and the Sakbe road, because these are gonna be so damn gorgeous;
Agreed! These three projects have gotten started up again – I am in the throes of building half a dozen quick-firing radium cannon – and I have now gotten our orders for the new Bronze Age and Forge of Ice figures. New lead always galvanizes and inspires me, and photos will be forthcoming.

4)    to run at least ONE game, just so you can break the spell that weird oblivious dude got you under;
I am hoping to do so as well. As per my ‘rules of engagement’, if somebody wants to organize up a game session, I’ll be happy to host it. Both of my locally-resident daughters want to play in a game like I ususally run, and they may bring some of their friends – we shall see what happens, and I shall keep everyone posted.

5)    and while you're at it (if you DO run that one game), use those splendid new Underworld tiles + lighting, and *film* the whole thing! (Hell, I would drop by the Twin Cities myself just to be in that game, if I had the money.)


That’s the plan. I’ll announce when the game happens, and when we post it. And, you are always welcome, here...

So, there you have it, my friend! A very nice and very rewarding 2017 to you and your family!

Thank you! As I have said many times, all I want to do is paint my figures, tell my stories, and run my games. That’s where we’re going, and everyone is welcome to come along for the ride!




7 comments:

  1. Not in relation to this post, but this specific combination of red/blue is burning my eyes. (Is this a recent change?)

    For a question of my own, what book/website would you recommend to get into world of Tekumel. I've been hovering around a bit reading about old school gaming as it were, but I don't know where to really start.

    And finally, here's some of my own pics of recently painted old fantasy minis if you fancy.
    http://recreationalconflict.lusagi.com/benstuff/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your heads-up! I had no idea what was going on, but I think it's now fixed. The stock and standard 'simple template; that I used seems to have changed in some way; the glaring colors were not something I liked or wanted.

      I'd suggest EPT and/or the www.tekumel.com website, myself; it's what I use for new players, like the ones I had yesterday.

      I like 'em! Thank you! :)

      I especially like the way you use your colors; nice and vibrant, but still very nicely 'muted'/understated so that these look like real people in real settings. And the setting are superb, too!!!

      Delete
  2. You rock, Chirine!

    I'm glad my comment could be the inspiration for post #420 (or is it 419?).

    Anyway, I really meant what I said there. Quiet or not, it'll be considered "a good year" (at least in MY book) if you end up doing most of those five things. And of course, I'll keep reading - and a hell of a lot of other people, too.

    If you post a new game session video I may very well lose it for an hour or two, but my friends are used to it 😁😀😁

    Keep painting your figures, keep telling your stories, and long live The Workbench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! You have been very inspiring indeed, and thank you for your very kind words!

      I should have recorded yesterday;s session, but it is Burl's group, not mine, so we'll do something in the basement for you... :)

      Delete
  3. Hmm. Yeah, the dark blue feels a bit glaring on the red background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I can no longer change the text colors, so I went with a new template that I think works better. How does it look to you?

    ReplyDelete