Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Weekly Update - Sunday, January 8th, 2017 - 2017: The Year In Preview

1/900th, I think, and noticeably bigger then the other ships.
I can tell you what we're getting, very shortly...

I usually get to thinking, about this time of the year, about what I'll be up to for the next twelve months. I think that this year will be a year of consolidation, with a lot of building and writing going on. No idea how much actual gaming; that will be up to other people to organize, as I've been saying for most of 2016. It's a matter of time and energy; I have to ration both, these days, so I am concentrating on what I'm good at and what I like to do.

TRE Games will be getting some more of our budgeted cash; I picked up the new quinquereme yesterday at The Source, and when I went to the TRE Games website i found that he' also done a 28mm cog. Over a foot long, and about four inches wide, this ship will fit in very nicely with the rest of the Missuma River Yacht Club and provide some much-needed help to our over-worked merchant fleet. The quinquereme will wind up as the flagship of the TRE fleet, commanding the three biremes and the three triremes I already have. He's also got a range of 15mm 'Arid' buildings, and if he does them in 25/28 mm, I'll simply have to get a set - I love his kits, and these will be perfect for all sorts of games.

What I'm looking at for this year will be a lot more on the side of getting projects done, and a lot less on new projects. I have to get the two Barsoomian flyers done - the big sticking point for them, at the moment, are the deck guns. I've been looking for something that I can suitably liven up to serve as radium cannon, but nothing has surfaced in my travels to local shops so I think I'll have to scratch-build something. I had been looking for things like Edwardian deck guns, in keeping with the ERB outlook, but at about five bucks a gun, the total inventory (for the two hulls) will account for most of the year's miniatures budget. So, it's off to the parts bins, and we'll see what we can come up with. Likewise, the big Sakbe road set will get it's vinyl cladding installed, and the detailing doen to finish that project off. That will be the big effort for the year, simply because it's such a big project.

As I've mentioned before, I don't really 'play rules sets'; I play settings, for particular worlds. These will get more support, as I refine my focus on what I do best, and I'll be getting the unpainted figures in the collection finally done. A lot of figures now in the bins by the workbench will be evaluated for use, and most likely declared 'surplus to requirements' and disposed of. I have very little possible use for a classic D&D City Guard set, so they may have to find new homes; we'll have to see, and think about what kind of games I'd like to run in the future.

I am, to be honest, looking forward to a quiet year; in some ways, we've had too much excitement around here...

Onward!

4 comments:

  1. Let it be said that there's nothing wrong with a quiet year / consolidation year. As a matter of fact I did exactly that in 2013, and it proved extremely profitable.

    Here are my very specific 2017 "best wishes" for you, Chirine:

    1) to spend some quality time with your daughter;

    2) to add 100K + to your book;

    3) to finish the two flyers and the Sakbe road, because these are gonna be so damn gorgeous;

    4) to run at least ONE game, just so you can break the spell that weird oblivious dude got you under;

    5) and while you're at it (if you DO run that one game), use those splendid new Underworld tiles + lighting, and *film* the whole thing! (Hell, I would drop by the Twin Cities myself just to be in that game, if I had the money.)

    So, there you have it, my friend! A very nice and very rewarding 2017 to you and your family! 🖐😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would like to expand this into a full post, if I may, as I think you deserve a longer answer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!
      I hope you guys are not affected by all that sleet and freezing rain!

      Delete
    2. Thank you - more later!

      No rain, yet. Decent weather, which was really nice as we got all the boxes into the house on a very nice day, and I'm hoping that it stays this way for a bit so I can redistribute stuff around the house, sheds, and garage...

      Delete