Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Weekly Update - Sunday, February 26th, 2017 - Unpacking and Goodies

I'll use the helmets and the round shields...
The two I have had very broken wings - fixed, now...

One very - to me, anyway - odd thing about Con of the North was that for a 1,300+ convention, there wasn;t anyone in the vendors' area selling miniatures and miniatures stuff. I do have to qualify that, though; one of the local pro painters was there, doing wonderful commissions - you dropped your figure off, and it was ready two hours later! - and a booth selling painted figures from a local collection. Otherwise, nada, which meant that my budgeted funds stayed in my wallet.

Enter The Source Comics and Games, run by the irrepressible Fighting Bob (General Karim Missum, to us old Tekumel hands), who saw the wads of unspent cash moldering in my sweaty hands and allowed that if I dropped by the store his staff would have a few deals for me.

So, I did, and they did. Some of the folks at the convention had asked about my getting my play-by-post (e-mail, actually, but let's not quibble) miniatures campaign going, and I felt the need for some Salarvyani light infantry skirmishers. I got a pack of the plastic Numidians from Victrix:

My thought was to use the helmeted figures, to match the old Craig Smith drawings, and the round shields as being more appropriate for skirmishers. The downside to this plan is that the shields supplied are very - very! - plain, and I'll have to see what I might have in stock that I can use to add a little visual interest to the shields. I used decals on the Old Guard ones that I had, and I may root around the see it anything will work. Otherwise, it's new shields. We shall see.

I also got a pair of nice little models that badly needed a home. As regular readers will recall, I have a fleet of small-scale ships, and it struck me as I looked at these models that there are are at least a couple of Undying Wizards that we met in our ocean travels who habitually flutter around the skies of Tekumel in skyships. The "Bajoran Lightship" seemed to me to be a pretty good stand-in for these; this pair of models had some very broken 'wings', and the staff at The Source allowed as how I had been known to be able to mend broken stuff pretty well. They made me an offer I could not refuse, and I've managed to fix the two ships. New bases are in order, I think, as the ones provided are not all that good; an easy thing, involving plastic rod and sheet goods.

Still unpacking everything; I do the upkeep on the displays before I put them back into storage, so it's been a little busy this past week. Everything is done, though, and so we're on to new and old projects again...