Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Weekly Update - Sunday, March 26th, 2017 - An Essay On Conventons, if you don't mind...





No, I am not at Gary Con this weekend these are all photos from three years ago. The folks who were organizing a possible trip for me to go down to Lake Geneva this year missed several important deadlines with the convention, so we went to Ohio instead.

I've been asked, by multiple people and on multiple occasions, why I don't go to conventions and run games for people. The quick answer, as I've mentioned, is resources - and the lack of same. I have a limited amount of disposable vacation time and an equally limited amount of disposable income available to use on my gaming; I have to budget very carefully. And, as I've also mentioned, I have very limited amounts of stamina and energy available - I can either organize a convention trip, or run events and games; not both, on the same trip. If people want me to come to their convention, then they need to take the lead in organizing the trip. I can advise on what I can run, load everything up, and do the show; that's about it. I can pay for fuel and food; I can't afford a hotel room, and I do need a place to stay at my age.

That's the tangible aspect of the subject. The intangible aspect of the matter is that I am a relic of an older style of game play, dating back some forty years. I don;t fell all that much connection to modern gaming; when I was walking through the game rooms at Con of the North, I felt very disassociated and alienated, as there didn't seem to be anything there for me. I just wasn't interested in what I was seeing. Now, there were lots and lots of people there, having a very good time; it just wasn't my kind of good time, if I can put it that way.

The bottom line is that if I'm going to be shelling out money and time, I'd better be having a great time like I did at Cincy Con. Gary Con is a great convention, but for me there's not a lot to actually do; it is an RPG convention, and I happen to strongly agree with that focus; I just don't see a difference between RPGs and miniatures, as seems to be the norm these days. We didn't, back in the day, and I still don't.

So, to conserve resources, I stay home; the door is always open for visitors. If you want to stop by, drop me an e-mail...

8 comments:

  1. You were missed, well, I missed you :) I still remember that Tekumel game and I still have my charsheet, hoping to play him again.

    I'll be blogging about GaryCon this week, including surviving Tim Kask (and his dungeon)! I think I'm now 2 for 2 in surviving Old School games - yours and Tim's! Now I hear Jim Ward is a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That game was truly one of the very best I've ever had, thanks to you and your fellow players. Looking forward to your posts!!! :)

      Delete
    2. And it's a favorite memory of mine as well. I did see Michael M this weekend but didn't get much of a chance to hang out.

      Post 1 is up! I've linked to your blog, hope you can link to mine. http://chgowiz-games.blogspot.com/2017/03/i-made-70-people-scream-at-garycon.html

      Delete
  2. There is no difference between RPGs and miniatures. That new "norm" is nothing but rubbish.

    It's like the chess clock: you can play chess with or without it, your choice.

    It's like driving your car with or without a GPS.

    It's like seeing that new movie in 2D or 3D.

    It's like running games with a GM's screen, or without.

    Anyone who says otherwise is trying to split hairs - probably to his/her own advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you; I've been both disheartened and discouraged by quite a few modern RPG people who don't feel the same way, and who seem to have some - to me, anyway - very odd perceptions of what a miniatures game is like in general, and what we did back in the day in particular. I'm baffled by it, especially when a self-described 'OSR' person climbs my case because their perceptions of how Gary, Dave, and Phil ran their games doesn't match my experiences.
      I dunno; I'm going to keep on running my games the way I always do, I think...

      Delete
    2. And that's all we can do, is do what makes us happy. I've learned in quite a few different communities that if you're going to pass your values forward, you do it best by showing and sharing, not by telling.

      Delete
  3. So days getting older really does suck. I'm glad you are doing what you want to do.

    re: different perceptions
    I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I did play back in the day though never with Gary, Dave, or Phil. My perception was never far off your experience as you describe it. Of course now your description colors my current perception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a selfish, personal perpective I'm glad you ended up in Ohio. :-) I enjoyed talking with you at Cincy Con.

    ReplyDelete