Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Weekly Update - Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 - Still Sick, But There is Progress!

The ultimate video accessory?

I am still here, I am happy to be able to report. The bronchial infection is on the wane, under the effect of powerful antibiotics and even more powerful cough syrup. My lungs seem to be clear, the doctors say, so getting control of the muscle spasms form the coughing has been the big issue. The Missus is also now sick with this, or a related bug, so the little house has been resounding with coughing and sneezing. I'm running at about 75% to 80%, which is better then the 25% to 30% I was at last week.

Things still move, as Galileo pointed out, and we had a very nice thing happen this past weekend. As I've noted here in the past, I do a lot of my purchasing through the local surplus outlets; I've been looking for an LCD screen to experiment with in miniatures games - ideally, I'd love to lay one down on the table, bring up a floor plan, and move miniatures around on the thing. I thought that this might be fun, but it does require a cheap LCD screen to experiment with.

Suffice it to say that I wound up with a very nice LCD for a very good price - that is, until I got the thing home and discovered that I had bought a 40" high end plasma screen. The picture looks great, and it is now in the game room as the official viewing screen. I did have to mount it on a pair of after-market legs, though, and this is where my drill press comes into the picture; the mounting holes, as might be guess, did not line up, so I drilled new ones in about five minutes and had the big screen up and running in another five.

What really pleased me is that I can still make things. And do it easily, quickly, and effciently.

Now, this does leave me with a 'spare' 42" LCD screen, which is the unit I got three years ago in response to the requirement for an active display at 'off-site' games. It'll revert to that role, and get a new shipping crate on casters as well.

Fortune smiles on the brave... :)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your home is still beset by the dread lurgy, hope you both recover as soon as possible. Take care - and well done on the plasma screen purchase, and its mounting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm better; she's been worse all this past week, but is getting better. Just very tired, the both of us.

      The big screen is astounding! Watched Technicolor epics yesterday while cleaning the game room and doing laundry - simply amazing picture! :)

      Delete