Monday, May 15, 2017

The Weekly Update - Monday, May 15, 2017 - A Month Of Gaming Ahead!




Two large with low roofing, one small with high...

Two small, one large, all with high roofing...

As promised, here are the photos of the foam cooler buildings I've had in the project waiting list for quite a long while. The roof sections are simply solid foam blocks, cut to shape on the band saw, and glued up and glued to the coolers' lids. The blocks will get sanded and filled, and then painted to represent tiles or slates - probably tiles, as that's what Phil liked.

We don't have a lot of drawings or artwork by Phil of buildings, which is a little odd; but then, I suspect that since he knew his beloved South Asia so well, he assumed that we'd be able to get the idea from his descriptions. So, these are a synthesis of his descriptions and what we have, and I think they'll be fine.

I'd also like to suggest the superb 'Temple City Set" from Stonehouse Miniatures; I have one of these, and it's done yeoman service in our games for years. Please have a look, if you would:


It's going to be a very busy month of gaming for me; two sessions have been booked here at the house, and I've been asked to run some games for Free RPG Day at the FLGS. Barsoom is on the slate, as well as Ancient Egypt; Tekumel is being catered for by John Till and his 'FATE for Tekumel' game; we'll see what else shows up, and we'll have a good time with old friends and new.

So, very busy, and I'll try to keep everyone updated as best as I can. More to come, I hope!

8 comments:

  1. Simply Superb! Great idea and execution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll pass that along to Ken, as it was his idea originally. All I'm doing is following in his footsteps, with band saw in hand... :)

      Delete
  2. Chirine, I sent you a very time-sensitive email, please check, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking buildings and temples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really like the addition of the roof extensions. I have one of these at home, but just flipped the lid and tossed on a decoration. I have been looking for techniques to both harden and smooth the eps pebble surface. I might also suggest looking at styrofoam plant protectors. The are generally round or more commonly octagonal. They can be found in the yard and garden section of hardware stores, and probably elsewhere. Fleetfarm seems to have them for about 4 bucks a piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually finding that the latex paint that I'm using is heavy enough to stabilize the foam beads, and still keep a little of the texture. I'm sealing the roof combs with my usual acrylic wood filler and then painting it; that seems to work well, too.

      Yes, agreed about the round and octagonal foam items, too! Ken had used some of these for buildings, back in the day, including a really impressive octagonal tower. I'm hoping to get some of these as well, and get them done as good buildings.

      Delete