Monday, August 14, 2017

The Weekly Update - Monday, August 14th, 2017 - The Ultimate Braunstein?




Urban adventures - always one of Phil's specialties!
A couple of inquiries have come in over the transom, and I'll try to address them and let all of you know what I'm getting up to, these days.

Why all the recent talk about Romans and Macedonians? I thought that this blog was about Tekumel?

It is, more or less, and you can blame Phil and his love of Ancient Egypt and the Successor period; I was introduced to these by him, and I'm finding them fascinating.

Are you painting these figures for a specific game?

Yes, four specific games actually. What I'm building is what may be my greatest game ever, in the forty-some years I've been at this kind of thing. One of the neatest features of gaming with Phil was his talent for running urban adventures. Simply going to the marketplace for a little shopping always turned into an adventure, and we had some really rollicking good times playing in them. I enjoyed doing up the figures and details for these games with what limited resources we had back in those days - and doing them now with all the wonderful figures and models that we have available to us now is really a joy for somebody like me.

Will this be a Braunstein, like the one you ran at Fantasy Flight Games' Event Center?

Yes, it will. It'll be a big game on the ground - maybe on the floor or on a set of risers, I'm not sure - about nine feet by nine feet square on one of my big canvas ground sheets that has been suitably painted.

You said four games - can you tell us which ones?

Yes. I'll be running them in my favorite world settings: Tekumel, Barsoom, Lord Meren's Ancient Egypt, and The Epic Aegyptus of Hollywood-on-the-Nile. What makes this possible is the same operating method of any large theater or film studio - generic 'standing sets', suitably 'dressed' with the appropriate set elements and props. In addition, I've got the miniature figures to run all four settings with the appropriate cast, and I may even break down and re-create the film crew that I did aeons ago for a "Call of Cthullu" campaign. ("Ready when you are, C. B.!" for you old film buffs.)

Each game will be different, with different 'sides' with different objectives. You pick your card, and you get some extras to help you with your mission / goals. Typical Braunstein, really.

When are you going to run these?

Next year, most likely. I have to build the studio sets from the MDF up, and this process got started this past weekend when I fell to work sorting all the neat stuff that my Daughter-In-Residence has managed to find for me. She works for the Swiss version of Michael's Crafts, and has access to the most amazing catalog of stuff that we simply do not see over on this side of the pond.

How can I play in one of these games?

Find and reserve a big enough room, set a date, and get in touch with me. You provide the venue and the players, and I'll provide the game. We'll work something out... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment