Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Weekly Update The Second - Sunday, August 27th, 2017 - Interlude Two: The Game of Daughters

The box art, which doesn't do the figures justice

You get three of these sprues - 12 figures

You get two of these sprues - 12 figures

Every two weeks, I take my Fifth Daughter up to The Source Comics and Games so she can buy her bi-weekly ration of comics. As mentioned a while back, she also picked out some Dark Sword Miniatures figures for herself and her next-oldest sister; their older sister, as well as their two more senior sisters, already have personality figures in the collection for use in my campaigns. (1)

So, we were in the FLGS yesterday to get her comics on the way to getting the weekly groceries when we spotted two boxes of these plastic figures from Shield Wolf Miniatures on the shelf back in the plastic models section. Readers will recall that I had, on a previous excursion, cleaned out all of the Ancients figures from these shelves at the urging of the Missus, who felt that if I was going to do the 'Legend of Cleopatra' I'd better get it right - or she'd tell Phil on me, and he'd summon the Curse of The Mummy, or Cursed Hippos, or Something; Phil was, let us never forget, an unabashed Ancient Egyptian who took the Roman conquest very personally. Hence the Workbench being aswarm with the various Macedonians and Romans that I have been working on and mentioning in these pages.

Fifth Daughter saw these really quite nice figures - the box art does not do the very crisp and clean casting any justice - and dropped a heavy-handed hint that she and her sister would be very pleased if they had armies of their own; their older sister is more of a classical mind, and has laid claim to the wonderful Ral Partha Amazons that I got back this past spring at Cinncy Con. You can see the three packs I got at:

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=365_377&osCsid=n6kk57dlhjredbfac5gpnq6790

Her younger sisters seem to resent this martial minature supremacy to some degree, and - being an indulgent parent (and, to be frank, on the theory that Phil first elaborated as a rule of campaigning: "If they're carving each other up, then they'll be too busy to carve you up.") - I got the two boxes on offer and then went to get the groceries.

Much delight with these figures, even with them still on the sprue! We've always needed some ferocious women warriors to go with our fierce Nluss menfolk, and these ladies will certainly fill the part. They'll also serve equally well as other warriors in other settings, like Blackmoor - we do see visitors from there in Tekumel, remember - and they may make an appearance in the 'Legend of Cleopatra' game as mercenaries from the Land of the Amazons, which any educated Greek or Roman knew was just the other side of the Black Sea.

These figures have some novel features in their construction, as they have separate backs to their torsos; these can be exchanged for the hooded cloaks as well. There are also lots of different parts and options, which means that no two of any of these figures will look the same after I get done with them. I'll also do a little 'kit-bashing' as well, so as to get some left-handed figures, but by and large these figures are so well-done that I expect to have very little to do besides glue them together and paint them.

EDIT; Added link: http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/

I have no idea what they're all plotting, but I do expect some miniatures gaming in the best M. A. R. Barker tradition is about to occur. If First Son-In-Law asks for some classical Chinese troops and Second asks for Native Americans from the Great Plains, then I'll have a family campaign on my hands...

Not that I'll mind, of course! :)

Footnote 1: Yes, it's complicated. First Daughter is also the most senior, followed by Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth in order of arrival. Third is the oldest, followed by Fourth, Fifth, First, and Second. First was the high school best friend of Second, who introduced Third to her husband (Second Son-in-law); Third is the sister of Fourth (who is married to First Son-in-law) and Fifth (who introduced First Son-in-law to Fourth Daughter) - they all arrived as a 'package deal'.

And yes, I do have a big white board to keep track of all this.

2 comments:

  1. This post is awesomely hilarious. I just love your Game of Thrones / Game of Daughters allusion. The other four sisters "seem to resent this martial miniature supremacy". LOL!😁😁😁

    Also: "If they're carving each other up, then they'll be too busy to carve you up." Classic Prof. Barker! Priceless.

    And that footnote! You *do* need a flowchart... and it's a four-dimensional one!

    Indeed, I suspect you'll have a family campaign on your hands soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is what comes of having five daughters who are all interested in gaming. Second is actually a better painter then I am - she works in oils, for heaven's sake!

      And yes, I agree; my little family is indeed a trifle complicated, but I think that's because we *chose* to be a family... :)

      Delete