Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Weekly Update - Sunday, August 6th, 2017 - Arrivals, Assemblies, and Primers

Two cohorts, assembled and with primer
The scorpion and crew

Infantry, personalities, guards, and the gaming scene

Pillars with flames, gongs, and rugs

Personalities and the extra gong set (for a gift)


It's been a busy week; the 'Legend of Cleopatra' figures arrived, just as I was finishing gluing up my two cohorts of Romans, so I got cracking and got everyone assembled and based. Did the primer coat yesterday, while dodging the rain, and I think they've come out very well.

The Romans are nice, as I mentioned, and about the only gripe I have with them is that they are so light. I've put them on TRE Games bases, for a little weight, and I think they'll be fine. The 'new' cohort has the wolfskins on their standard-bearer and musician, and the 'veterans' have bearskins. I will also do their centurions' crests in different colors.

The scorpion is a very finely molded and delicate bit of kit. I like it, and I'll have to give it a steel base or something. The one figure has his helmet in one hand, and a headband, as I'm doing him as Decius from the battle scene in "Gladiator" - everybody has to start somewhere, eh?

Over on the metal side of the workbench, we have nine Ancient Egyptian figures, all of whom will be useful  in my games. The Queen herself, and assorted officials, court ladies and attendants. I particularly like the gong set; we got a second set to do as a gift for an old friend and her shop in South Minneapolis. We have four pillars with fires going on top of them; I used white glue to assemble these, in the hope that I eventually come up with a way to make the fires actually glow. (1) The 'lionskin rug' was one item that the Missus insisted we get, just for the fun of it.

There's also a nice little unit of infantry, some armored and some not. They'll all make for good palace guards, I think, and I like the assortment of active and dynamic poses mixed in with the static guard post types.

We also have three Temple of Set guards, a Prophet of Set in armor with helmet, a Heroine, and a sample from the next Dark Fable Indiedgogo, for Anubis warriors. And, of course, the little gaming scene - we got the seated lady as well, as we can always use seated figures and furniture!

I've been asked what all these figures are for, and they are intended to be used in a series of Braunsteins on the order of my legendary (and infamous!) Great Mos Eisley Spaceport Raid. I have figures to do four variations on this game: Tekumel, the Ancient Egypt of Lord Meren, Barsoom, and the Ancient Egypt of Cleopatra. It'll be a big game, with lots of players and figures, and even more opportunity for mayhem and skullduggery.

In other news, I have also been working on getting the game room and game lounge rebuilt and reset. Today's task was moving the suits of armor on their mannequins, which took most of the afternoon - those suits are heavy, when you're not wearing them! The goal is to set up the lounge to allow us to enjoy my collection of vintage and modern movies in some style and comfort; we have the facilities, so we might as well get some use out of them. I also have to move Castle Tilketl in it's packing crate out to the storage shed, as well as some more boxes, bales, and bins that need to move out there.

So, the sorting and packing continues. A long process, but I think we'll all be a lot happier when we're done. More accessibility, more utility, and more fun in the offing! :)


(1) LEDs, for starters, and /or a black light with the flames in glowing paint. I'll think of something.

4 comments:

  1. Chirine, what type of primer are you using, as the minis look a bit glossy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Rustoleum Painters' Touch, in what's supposed to be Flat White. It does look semi gloss, so I suspect a can of the latter got mixed in with the former - not surprising, considering just how much of this stuff I go through. I did some other figures with this particular can, and they turned out just fine; I'll just use less water in the mix, and it should work out. Worst comes to worst, a very light coat of real Flat White will solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a similar problem with Krylon's "All-in-One" primers which is why I was wondering what you were using. Although they are supposed to be flat they are more of a satin finish. I normally only use the stuff for gaming pieces because it gives a good base and has "tooth".
      I have also had to occasionally air brush over the primer with either Floquil's Reefer White, or Tamiya's Flat Black (both of which airbrush dead flat) when the paint just wouldn't "stick" to the primer. I find Vallejo oranges and reds to be a bit temperamental sometimes, even when using a brown base coat.

      Delete
  3. Understood. I did some tests last night with my usual paints, and had no issues. I do prefer a really 'flat' white; I think I goofed when I bought this can and didn't look hard at the tiny label. No harm done, though, from what I can tell.

    ReplyDelete