Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Weekly Update - Sunday, September 18th, 2017 - D 20 Adventure: "The Redwood Scar"



Some quick bits of personal news, then on to gaming stuff:

I am on my new work schedule starting tomorrow; I am moving back to an afternoon/evening shift, which I think will help me quite a bit. New assignments, new responsibilities, and (if I may say so) a nice raise in pay. I am expecting that my productivity will increase quite a lot; I am not a 'morning person', and being awake leter in the day will allow me to get a lot more done here at The Workbench.

We found a nice little Sony 'Cybershot' camera recently, and the photo above was taken with this. It uses the 'Memory Stick Pro' memory units, and I get something like 725 photos per stick with this camera. As a result, I think I'll be using this compact little camera for documenting games; I don't have to stop and reload sticks every 125 photos, like I do with my current digital camera.

Played in the D&D 5E campaign at the FLGS, today; this is set in the D20 "Blackmoor"series of books. We were involved in the adventures given in the suppliment "The Redwood Scar", and we managed to beat off the zombies that were menacing the village that we had been staying the night in. Had a quick side adventure from the same book, and then got the party back to the village to a place of relative safety.

I am not, I will admit, very happy with the 5e rules, but then I am not very happy with really any of the various editions of D&D that I've seen go by over the past forty years of my gaming life. I freely admit that I am spoiled by having played in the original Blackmoor setting with Dave Arneson and the original Greyhawk with Gary Gygax; their pace and ability to weave a wonderful tale really shaped the way I game and the way I look at gaming. The current incarnations of their game don;t do much for me, so I have dropped out of this group. Great players, solid GM, but all the number-crunching and calculations the rules seem to mandate are neither something I like or enjoy.

We'll see where my gaming goes, in the future; the more I get back to the basics I learned all those years ago, the more fun I and others seem to have.

5 comments:

  1. Number-crunching 😣😣😣😣

    I ran a game on September 10, and my players found themselves stuck in a very narrow passage, blocked by three identical monsters (even the minis were identical). So the biggest warrior in the party took the lead and clashed with monster number one. Behind him, the others kept firing Magic Missiles, arrows, and even darts. They collectively kept track of how much damage they inflicted on that first monster. When the monster finally collapsed, they said, "Okay, 55 Hit Points."

    Another character switched places with the warrior, and engaged monster number two, supported by missile fire from the rest of the party. And they called the Hit Points after every blow.
    "He's down to 39."
    Next round: "Down to 30, now."
    Next round: "18 left."
    Next round: "Only 6 to go!"

    I shook my head, and said nothing. They were having fun, though. They are university teachers, web architects and project managers: that's what they *love*. Optimizing and calculating. What the hell can I do, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny story! I don't mind that kind of number-crunching, not at all. It was the arcane ( to me, anyway ) calculations needed to generate all the stats and their modifiers; these turn the simplest actions into math exercises, which is not what I look for in my games.

      Delete
  2. thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept..
    หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could modify 5e to your tastes, what would you change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question - and it deserves a longer post. I'll have that for you right after today's Update.

      Delete