Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Weekly Update - Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 - Girls For The Girls!

Shield-maidens for The Daughters, others for me...

I think I can say that I had good holiday weekend; lots of stuff got done around the house, and many fun things were done on various excursions. The Workbench is still a mess, because I'm painting rather then cleaning, but that's my problem.

Lots and lots of family news; my father-in-law is out of the hospital and walking around (slowly, but he's walking), The Missus has had her annual cancer check-up and has passed with flying colors, Fifth Daughter has a 4.0 GPA and has been invited to join her school's Honor Society, and I am moving back to second shift in two weeks with an increase in pay. (Yes, we're a  little busy hereabouts.)

I am having a whee of a good time, in amongst the myriad of other things I'm up to, getting the plastic shield-maidens assembled. The girls are pretty happy with "their girls", as they call them. and I'm very happy at the quick and easy assembly work that I did. There are an immense number of variations possible with this set - Fifth Daughter calculated that there are over 103 million variations possible with one set of 24 figures, and I don't doubt her - so it took a little planning and forethought to get everything going - you get a lot of parts!

Fifth Daughter also did a little research and worked out the proportions of hair colors and skin tones that would likely be present in a selection of these miniature ladies, assuming that we're looking at a group of Viking Era / "Vikings" TV series / "Game of Thrones" TV series mercenaries / raiders / player-characters; it turns out that it's a 4:3:2:1 ration for black, brown, blonde, and red hair. Inside that spectrum, I also worked out several different shades of each hair color.

To add to the fun, my co-workers all encompass this same spectrum, so I was able to match hair colors to skin tones all across the range - the paints I have in stock are certainly getting a workout. I, as well as the Daughters, are very happy with the result - a bunch of very fierce and determined women from a broad spectrum of humanity. And, as a result, they all look en masse like all the extras ever hired by a motion picture or television producer for their big-budget epic.

In short, my girls are happy, my Missus is happy, so I'm happy.

By the by, I was also reviewing some of my old blog posts on miniatures, and I realized that I hadn't done the one I promised on why I get the miniatures I do, and how I paint them. So, that'll be next, with photos of examples...

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. Good to hear that you're making progress. Hopefully you will also continue your segment on painting some of the other nations of Tekumel ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes - now that I have time and energy, I'm going to be getting back to a lot of things that have gotten left by the wayside.

      Delete
  2. Very happy to hear the positive news on the medical front. Also fun to hear you are painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Things are going very well, hereabouts, and my gaming has picked up speed and momentum as well: lots of great things happening!!! :)

      Delete
  3. thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept..
    หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete