Monday, October 30, 2017

Making My Dreams Come True - The Weekly Update for Monday, October 30th, 2017

The stuff that dreams are made of...

It was a sort of unhappy week last week here at the Workbench, with some bad news about people we know coming across the wires, but things perked up considerably over the weekend; one daughter helped another move, and after several trips with  four ferrets,  one bunny, and Skipper the Three-Legged Cat, everything got moved and only the cleaning remains. It's her first real house, and it was a lot of fun to get her installed. I also got more figures painted while I sat by Fifth Daughter's game group getting into trouble, which is always relaxing and a tonic.

As I've mentioned once in a while, I've put in the past forty years making other peoples' dreams happen - like in gaming with Dave Arneson at Adventure Games - and I've learned a few lessons along the way. Who can be trusted, who can be relied on when the chips are down, how to manage events, and how to make things both organized and easier to deal with.

Back in earlier years of my working life, I built some of the first teleconferencing and distance learning systems that were being installed here in the Twin Cities. One of my dreams has always been a desire to combine that kind of technology with my gaming, so that people need not travel all the way up here to the Northwoods to game with me.

That dream came true, this past weekend. A friend, who is another one of us surplus bargain hunters, needed some help with a couple of projects; he traded me one of his surplus finds, a video production rack full of equipment, for my time and effort. This rack is one of those stand-alone room systems, and has all of the gear to integrate all of my existing equipment into a complete video production facility; I can wire the game room once,  and then record game sessions and upload them to the Internet - or run live on the Internet, and have people call in on the phone and 'appear' remotely as players. And I can do things like the DVD I've been planning for the new edition of my miniatures rules - a reader noted that I would need to write the rules in such a way as to teach them to players, as I could not be there to teach them. My response was to provide a DVD (or YouTube video, for that matter) in which I run a game to show how the game works 'on the table'. He thought it was an amazingly good idea, so that's what we'll do.

So, that's the first dream come true. Others are as well, and I'll keep all of you posted as they happen - and I get photos shot... :)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Which has always been a dream of mine, and now I can do it... :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to some more "how to" and "how we used to" videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep; longer episodes, better production quality, diverse media, you name it I can now do it. :)

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to these new changes. Wonderful to be able to be able to see, and participate in some of Ye Olden Style gaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it; we're using the same technology s used by pro broadcasters, and I've built a lot of these systems.

      Delete